People can be so rude about sphynx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister has Rats.
She had a siamese rat and he bit Cocos tail and she was dripping blood.
She lost Oscar her blue rat last smmer after trying to save him.
She has 2 new rats that I found on craigs list that were abot to be snake food. She went all the way to Hayward to save them.

nekkiddoglady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My rat had a little chest of drawers that she learned to open and close. I'd hide treats in there for her. It was a little plastic container that was meant to hold jewlery and small trinkets, but it became one of her favorite toys.

I've seen rats trained to do some cute tricks.. There is a Science museum here in OH called COSI.. its been a while since I've been there, but they did have some rats trained to play basket ball.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nekkiddoglady

My rat had a little chest of drawers that she learned to open and close. I'd hide treats in there for her. It was a little plastic container that was meant to hold jewlery and small trinkets, but it became one of her favorite toys.

I've seen rats trained to do some cute tricks.. There is a Science museum here in OH called COSI.. its been a while since I've been there, but they did have some rats trained to play basket ball.
I have been to COSI a few times!!! awesome place for kids and adults

My old man, Urn (he is 27 months-old for a rat LOL) loves empty coffee cans. He rolls them about the cage and drags his favorite blankie in to sleep with...very cute!

She has 2 new rats that I found on craigs list that were abot to be snake food. She went all the way to Hayward to save them
That is wonderful!!! I have some rescue rats here with me, all of my nakeds were rescues. I only have a couple of pedigreed rats left and since I no longer show rats..I enjoy taking in the ratties that really need homes. I have more room and time these days!

cat-tastrophe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

My sister has Rats.
She had a siamese rat and he bit Cocos tail and she was dripping blood.
She lost Oscar her blue rat last smmer after trying to save him.
She has 2 new rats that I found on craigs list that were abot to be snake food. She went all the way to Hayward to save them.
Have you ever considered getting into Spynx breeding? It sounds like you're on the right track!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have beentalking to some breeders about breeding later.
I will learn to show first with Cleo.
Then I will get a show sphynx this year.
I would wait until I know everything.
We have talked about waiting two years.

tweetykiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess people still want to judge a book by it's cover. Nothing wrong with being bald. A lot of bald people but a lot of them are nice and good. Same with the kitties.

Now I have to admit this since this is the first time I have had a kitty. While I was researching on where I could get a kitty, I saw some sphinx come up in results and all I thought was "hmmmm, this is different". Never heard of this type of kitten before. Bet they are darlings though. I didn't want a Persian since that is too much hair and then I found a site of a cattery that specializes in selling short haired Persians and I wanted one very bad but too expensive. I had never known that there are short haired Persians but I know they are expensive.

Now, if you don't mind; are pure bred sphinx also very expensive? I am not trying to ask you what you paid though. I am just wondering if they are expensive since they are unique.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sphynx generally are a high-end priced cat. There are several reasons for this as well. I have 2 sphynx and paid a good amount for them and they are worth every penny and more. They are generally bred for health and temperment, the parents are carefully chosen for breeding. I will be doing it as I just love the breed and all cats in general. A lot of genetic testing goes into the breeding cats in a cattery, the cost of showing the cats, ensuring optimal health of the breed etc. has a lot to do with price.

I would give mine away for free if it wasn't for poor pet ownership that often occurs. When you pay a hefty price for an animal, you are genuinely interested in the breed and will do everything possible to keep the cat in the best health possible.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sphynx are one of the expensive breeds of cats and are worth it.
I plan on getting another sphynx this year.
I will be showing Cleo soon.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

My sister tells me that my SunLee ( a modern Siamese) is the ugliest creature she's ever seen. She thinks SunLee looks more like an Alien creature than a cat. Although in truth SunLee is far from extreme, non the less she does have a different look than the Old Style Siamese. I just think a lot of people are not comfortable with cats that look "different" from all the rest.

Here's my little Princess. I see her as a beautiful creature.
I think SunLee is gorgeous HopeHacker.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now, if you don't mind; are pure bred sphinx also very expensive? I am not trying to ask you what you paid though. I am just wondering if they are expensive since they are unique.
I have yet to see a decent Sphynx for less than a thousand. I dont know that they are rare, but I hear people say that about them. I just dont think they are all that common. I love mine and would love to have another, but it will be a year or so before I start looking again. I need to save the money LOL