People are Stupid

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awful. Something similiar happened in the UK a couple of months ago - again, the owners refused to sign the cat over despite a rescue being willing to take it, and stayed to watch the vet do it - how can someone have so little emotion to be able to put a healthy animal to sleep - I have lost so many ill cats, that I can't imagine being able to do it for a healthy cat - my foster was recently diagnosed with crystals and the rescue didn't know if they could afford to treat him for it - if they hadn't, I would have adopted him despite not being able to afford it, I couldn't have lived with myself otherwise, apart from being obese he is healthy and has a very good quality of life.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully the policy at the vet's office will change after this. Bad enough that a vet will agree to "pts" a healthy animal, but to have as policy that all doctors must pts if the client requests no matter the circumstances - that is just wrong IMO. I can't imagine anything worse to do to a person than to tell them that they have to kill this creature even if they absolutely think it is wrong to do so.

I know some people will argue that if the animal is not pts then who knows what the people will do to it, but to me that is not my problem. No one can control what anyone else does, we can only control what we do. Whatever someone might choose to do is their business and it's emotional blackmail to say to a vet "if you don't pts then I will drown/shoot/run over/whatever him".

Besides, we're never going to get to a point where cats are valued as they should be, as long as veterinarians (and shelters too) are willing to kill healthy cats just because the "owner" asks them to. It's a classic case of actions speaking louder than words. You can't talk about how important cats are while you are also killing them just because someone wants you to. The words may be saying that cats are valuable, but the actions are saying that they are completely disposable.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I didn't read everyone's responses, but I have to say that we get people all the time bringing us a cat they've had for 5 years because they got a kitten or a puppy & the old cat won't get along. Here's an idea, since it's easier to rehome a kitten or puppy & the older cat has seniority, why not keep the older animal? Someone asked that of a couple who came in to return a cat they'd had 5 years & said "We've got too much money invested in the dog to get rid of it." As if an animal is an investment, no it's called a commitment, a family memeber, a beloved pet NOT AN INVESTMENT !!!!! (sorry to shout but they make me so mad)
When I am screening applicants for adoption and they already have a pet at home, I always look carefullly at the question about what they will do if their new cat does not get along with their current pets. In addition to the standard correct answers about talking to the vet, reading books/websites for advice, calling me, etc, I basically expect them to say that if all attempts at getting them to get along fails, they will return/rehome the new adoptee. Many adopters have expressed surprise when I tell them that this is actually the right answer. They were expecting it to be considered a bad answer but they wanted to be honest nevertheless.

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

How sad.. These people are the type that think pets are disposal. I wonder what their reasoning was about not letting the poor cat get a new caring home.. That is the odd part. If they didn't want the cat then let it be rehomed..
Why were these "people" so insistent on having the cat pts especially since they could have just left him at the vet's to be rehomed. Why were they so insistent on imposing the death penalty. Some people are so unbelievably hateful and should be pts themselves.

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
people aare both stupid and evil how would of it affected them any if the cat was put in a diff home instead of put to sleep sometimes i wish i could do to people what they think they can do to pets

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Talk about dogs in the manger. *shaking head*

janine&lily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is totally disgraceful! I just cant believe some people could be so heartless.People like that shouldnt be allowed to have animals.Lets hope they dont get anymore animals or they'll be bringing in the dog to be killed next.

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah that whole thing sounds shady to me... I dont understand why they would oppose that it goes to a different home? and after having it for some time, actually want to SEE it put to sleep? I've only had my cat for 3 months and I can't even bear to think about bringing her in to be put to sleep. This makes me so sad. What is wrong with people????

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by consumercity

Why were these "people" so insistent on having the cat pts especially since they could have just left him at the vet's to be rehomed. Why were they so insistent on imposing the death penalty. Some people are so unbelievably hateful and should be pts themselves.
I believe they didn't want to rehome the cat, because to them, the cat was not a living being, it was "stuff". So that cat is theirs, and they can do what they want. Like you or me throwing away an old purse we don't want, we feel no obligation to give it away.

I think the vets need to talk to the owner about the situation, and come up with a game plan in case this happens again. No caring person should be required to kill something against their better judgement. And if the owner says they will kill it themselves, is it legal to hold the cat and report them to the authorities for animal abuse?

We live in an ugly world. Spay and neuter is the best way I have to limit this from happening. I hope the people have friends who will tell them they are horrified at what they have done!