Peeling Paw/Pulled Claw (pics)

QueenP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just rescued phoenix Tuesday evening. The first night we noticed she was shaking her hind leg and come to find out she has pulled claw.
Its still attached
It crosses over a bit but doesn't impact the other claw beside it.
At first it looked like it was getting better but now it seems another claw in between the toes is having an issue. The skin seems exposed but there isnt any oozing.
I have no money for vet care right now but i wanted to see what i could do to atleast keep it clean and keep her from licking on it.
Pictures:
Taken today peeling in between toes
Wednesday morning pulled claw underneath
Pulled claw when planted
Pulled claw yesterday morning

11/22
IMG_20201122_125539.jpg
IMG_20201119_140741.jpg
IMG_20201120_113604.jpg
IMG_20201120_184127.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but she really should see a vet, it looks infected. When I had a dog with the same issue the vet took a pair of pliers and pulled it out, I would have never had enough nerve to do that, and a cat's claw may be different. You might try sending those pictures to a vet and see what they say, they may recommend something that you can do if you tell them she is a recent rescue and you have no money. She looks like she needs an antibiotic and sometimes a vet will give one that is over the counter, I know mine will if I can't bring a feral in and bring in pictures. At the least you might get a wound antibiotic at a farm supply store like Tractor supply Orschelns or on the internet. That infection will spread and may get into her blood supply. I feel for you, bless you for trying to help......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry but she really should see a vet, it looks infected. When I had a dog with the same issue the vet took a pair of pliers and pulled it out, I would have never had enough nerve to do that, and a cat's claw may be different. You might try sending those pictures to a vet and see what they say, they may recommend something that you can do if you tell them she is a recent rescue and you have no money. She looks like she needs an antibiotic and sometimes a vet will give one that is over the counter, I know mine will if I can't bring a feral in and bring in pictures. At the least you might get a wound antibiotic at a farm supply store like Tractor supply Orschelns or on the internet. That infection will spread and may get into her blood supply. I feel for you, bless you for trying to help......
Thank you so much for replying. Im going to try and reach out to my local hospital and urgent care and see what they say. Thanks

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that looks nasty. I'm pretty sure she'll need antibiotics at least, and maybe some veterinary tinkering around in there. I have had cats pull claws out without it getting infected but that looks icky.

QueenP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE !!
My phoenix is doing fine !! :cheerleader:
Thank you all for the suggestions !!
I used salt water to kill bacteria and cut back infection and kickstart the healing.
God reminded me in prayer that i used saline solution on my piercings for healing and to cut infection.
Prior to that revelation... When i contacted a vet they recommended chlorhexidine, which you can buy over the counter and an elizabethan collar. But the salt water was FREE and its worked perfectly so far.
I attempted to make a cone for her out of paper towel rolls and she ripped that off instantly. But anywayyyyy...
I sprayed it with the saline solution until her paw was soaked for two days in a row which sparked the rapid healing.
And tomorrow i will spray it again. That will make it about a week since the first treatment.
The toe became swollen with whatever blood and puss accumulated before the wound closed. But it burst open recently like a little pimple because now that its healing she has been experimenting with her jumps and stuff around the house onto the window sill and stuff. Which i thought honestly would have made it worse but she began walking even better. The healing has also been accompanied by hair loss which exposed some scabs farther across her paw. I never knew it was that bad So im glad i got the whole paw.
Annnnndddd....
THE PULLED CLAW HAS BROKEN OFF !! :banana1:
When i went to spray her paw during the first treatment i noticed that it was missing. It looks jagged but its not dirty or raw looking in between there anymore so im really happy about that. And the nail seems okay so hopefully it will grow back.

I will take pictures and post again at the end of the week to show progress !!

Thanks again

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, saline solution is best for cleaning wounds. . .although peroxide is widely recommended, it damages healthy tissue as well as debriding damaged tissue, so it should be used sparingly if at all. Most cats wouldn't be so tolerant as to let you soak their paw, what a good girl. Glad she's feeling better!

QueenP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE !!!! PICS OF HEALING PAW

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR BEING SO SUPPORTIVE !! SHE IS DOING BETTER THAN EVER AND GETTING SASSIER BY THE DAY.... I GUESS I DONT CALL HER QUEEN FOR NOTHING

Due to her healing so well I decided not to spray it again and have been watching it quite close. Will do it if needed tho....

1. About a week after first treatment and after it burst open and was healing again.
2. The pulled claw is now gone but there is a bit of a stump left. Maybe it will grow back
3. The baby scab !!!!

IMG_20201202_163526[1].jpg IMG_20201202_163722[1].jpg IMG_20201204_142753[1].jpg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow. That's a huge change! Thanks for letting us know! Sometimes people post on here and we never hear from them again, and are left wondering what happened. Believe me, we WANT to celebrate with you...or offer a shoulder if that is needed!

QueenP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow. That's a huge change! Thanks for letting us know! Sometimes people post on here and we never hear from them again, and are left wondering what happened. Believe me, we WANT to celebrate with you...or offer a shoulder if that is needed!
Of course it would be wrong of me to ask for help and not even come say thanks or give an update. Its only right, yall were polite enough to even respond so I'm glad I can at least give something, whether good or bad !

QueenP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE !!
Completely healed
I would have shown a more updated photo of her toenail but she isnt really into me touching it right now !!
She's precious i love her... We're moving to CT it was love at first sight and I'm glad that she is now healed.
God is good , 😊😊

IMG_20201222_161149.jpg IMG_20210107_143604.jpg IMG_20201213_105652.jpg IMG_20201214_023231.jpg

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE !!
My phoenix is doing fine !! :cheerleader:
Thank you all for the suggestions !!
I used salt water to kill bacteria and cut back infection and kickstart the healing.
God reminded me in prayer that i used saline solution on my piercings for healing and to cut infection.
Prior to that revelation... When i contacted a vet they recommended chlorhexidine, which you can buy over the counter and an elizabethan collar. But the salt water was FREE and its worked perfectly so far.
I attempted to make a cone for her out of paper towel rolls and she ripped that off instantly. But anywayyyyy...
I sprayed it with the saline solution until her paw was soaked for two days in a row which sparked the rapid healing.
And tomorrow i will spray it again. That will make it about a week since the first treatment.
The toe became swollen with whatever blood and puss accumulated before the wound closed. But it burst open recently like a little pimple because now that its healing she has been experimenting with her jumps and stuff around the house onto the window sill and stuff. Which i thought honestly would have made it worse but she began walking even better. The healing has also been accompanied by hair loss which exposed some scabs farther across her paw. I never knew it was that bad So im glad i got the whole paw.
Annnnndddd....
THE PULLED CLAW HAS BROKEN OFF !! :banana1:
When i went to spray her paw during the first treatment i noticed that it was missing. It looks jagged but its not dirty or raw looking in between there anymore so im really happy about that. And the nail seems okay so hopefully it will grow back.

I will take pictures and post again at the end of the week to show progress !!

Thanks again
Hello! What kind of saline solution did you purchase? What if they lick it after you clean it ?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That post is over a year old, but I would bet she may will still answer you!
Normal saline can be made at home with 1/2 teaspoon of salt mixed into one cup of boiled and cooled water. Normal saline is safe, it is what they hydrate you with at the hospital in the IV bags. It is the composition of living things' own fluid or 'water' in the tissues inside us.

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That post is over a year old, but I would bet she may will still answer you!
Normal saline can be made at home with 1/2 teaspoon of salt mixed into one cup of boiled and cooled water. Normal saline is safe, it is what they hydrate you with at the hospital in the IV bags. It is the composition of living things' own fluid or 'water' in the tissues inside us.
Regular table salt or Epsom salt?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Regular table salt. Epsom salt is good for many things, but if a cat (or a person ingests more than just a tiny bit it is a powerful laxative. I use Epsom salt in the garden all the time, on my roses, and lawn, and for sore feet. Did you know that in the olden days, Epsom salt was used to clean people out before surgeries in the hospitals!? It really works!

Woahhhitsmonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Regular table salt. Epsom salt is good for many things, but if a cat (or a person ingests more than just a tiny bit it is a powerful laxative. I use Epsom salt in the garden all the time, on my roses, and lawn, and for sore feet. Did you know that in the olden days, Epsom salt was used to clean people out before surgeries in the hospitals!? It really works!
No way ! What a fun fact. Thank you for your help. I’ll try cleaning her paw this way. I hope It’s not infected. I’m getting different reactions some say it’s fine some say it looks bad.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main thing is, is it improving at all? You can also dab a little antibiotic salve on it if you have some, it won't hurt her to lick it off as long as it does NOT have pain killers in it. How is she acting? eating/drinking/using the litterbox? MAYBE if you have a regular vet, you can bring that picture in and get an over-the-counter oral antibiotic for her, that is what she needs. Cats are tough, I have seen ferals with horrific wounds and they healed. as long as she is eating and not hiding she feels alright.