Peeing Problem Solved

flygirllaura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't posted on here before and I wanted to share my story where others could possibly benefit from it.

A little over a year ago I adopted a cat from the local SPCA that had been surrendered by its owner because he was peeing all over her house. She had adopted him as a kitten and gotten all four feet declawed. When I adopted him he was maybe a year old, so the woman hadn't had him long. I volunteer for the shelter and was in contact with the cat's old foster mom about introducing him to my house and dog properly and also what to try to prevent the peeing problem here.

Phoenix adjusted really well and got along very well with my dog. He was confident but would bite (well he has no claws so that's gotten better with time now that he trusts humans again) and not long after he arrived he started peeing on soft surfaces. Blankets, pillows, bedding, clothing on the floor, the dog's bed, anything really. He wasn't spraying, he wasn't marking near anything particular, he was peeing on fabric instead of his litter box.

I talked to my friends who were my "crazy" cat friends about what to do. I made sure he was on a good diet of wet food and his litter box was spotless (I use swheat scoop). I didn't know what else to do, he'd go a a few days or even a week or two without peeing on anything and then it would happen over and over again. I did so much research in my spare time and learned a few very important things about cats;

1) Cats are obligate carnivores, they should not eat grains

2) Cats don't often drink water (if yours is a good drinker that's awesome)

3) Cats in the wild would get their water from their food

4) Cats prefer running water to drink

5) Cats don't often get UTIs they do get urinary inflammation which causes lots of pain and is caused by dehydration

So I got a fountain hoping he would drink more water and that would help, but he didn't like the fountain either. I've never seen him drink water.  I feel so stupid that it took me so long to figure out what to do once I'd gotten to this point, but I finally tried adding more water to his wet food and that was it. NO MORE PEEING! Ever, not once, not ever again. 

So if your cat is peeing on your things, he is trying desperately to tell you something is wrong. Get him a new bigger litter box with some awesome litter and feed him only wet food with a little added water. Try it, what do you have to lose.