Peeing problem I havent seen before

sherri803

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wonderful year old neutered male has developed a very annoying habit. He has started peeing on the bed, but only in the spot I sleep. He does this in the morning only, and only right after I get up! He seems to only want to pee on the sheets as he will pull the covers down if Ived pulled them up. Once the bed is made and the day begun the bed is safe. I know he is trying to tell me something but I can't figure out what! Other than this am problem he is perfect and uses his box. Im afraid if this isnt stopped he may spred out of the other cat may think this is a good idea. Anyone have any ideas?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

Whenever a cat is peeing outside the litterbox, I always recommend a vet visit to rule out any health issues. Have them specifically test his urine to rule out any urinary problems (UTI, crystals, high pH). Cats who act normal & look fine often have UTIs - and the only way to let their people know is to pee where they shouldn't.

Once you are sure it isn't a health issue, then you can move on to dealing with a behavioral issue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherri803

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OOps newbie error! I should have also said that both cats were recently to the vet and given a clean bill of health. I told the vet about Oscar peeing were I sleep and was pretty much told, "well some cats do that".

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, no - did the vet run a urine sample to rule out a UTI or crystals? I agree - first you want to definitively rule out any health issues, and then go to behavioral issues. Now, if the vet did all that, cool - but if not - call back or maybe look into another vet practice.

sherri803

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said his urine test was clear and gave him an antibiotic shot just to be on the safe side. To be fair it was the vet tech that said some cats just do that. Given the test results and that he only pees where I have just been sleeping leadss me to think he is trying to tell me something.

sherri803

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
does anyone have any ideas as to why my cat has started peeing where I sleep. He has been to the vet and got a clean bill of health. He only does this in the morning when I havent made the bed yet. What is he trying to tell me? Any suggestions would be more than apprecfiated!

countryman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is weird. I got a kitty 2 months ago, and she has been using the great outdoors for her litterbox for about a month now. There is a catdoor in each door, so she has easy access, and has never had a problem. She has slept with me every night since I got her, but the night before last, I woke up in the morning feeling a wet spot. Then again last evening sometime while I was on the computer, she peed on the bed under the covers before I went to bed. Obviously, she had to take the effort to crawl under the blanket and top sheet to do this, it wasn't an accident.

I'll take her to the vet tomorrow, but I seriously don't think UTI is the problem. I had yelled at her the evening before last for climbing the curtains next to the bed, and again last evening, and put her out of the room for a couple hours.

Perhaps it is the stress I am inflicting on her, I don't know. Does anyone think this is the problem? And how can I keep her from climbing the curtains?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
for both of you - the only time i've ever had a cat pee in my bed, it was UTI-related. 2 weeks of antibiotics & Cat Attract litter & everything was A-OK!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stress does throw some kitties off.

Sherri803, has anything changed in your house or in your daily routine around the time this started happening?

-----

Countryman, maybe your kitty just didn't want to go outside... can you add a litter box inside for rainy days and lazy mornings so she doesn't have so far to go?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats are attracted to bunched up fabric. I've know cats that will pee in a laundry basket full of dirty clothes that will also pee on beds when the sheets are bunched up. These same cats may sometimes pee on a towel that dropped on the floor (bunched up fabric). Make your bed as soon as you get out of it.

If you've ruled out physical issues, even if you can stop the behavior by making the bed, take a good hard look at any potential stress problems in your house. Making the bed is treating the symptom and not the cause. They may stop that and start on someplace different.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by countryman

This is weird. I got a kitty 2 months ago, and she has been using the great outdoors for her litterbox for about a month now. There is a catdoor in each door, so she has easy access, and has never had a problem. She has slept with me every night since I got her, but the night before last, I woke up in the morning feeling a wet spot. Then again last evening sometime while I was on the computer, she peed on the bed under the covers before I went to bed. Obviously, she had to take the effort to crawl under the blanket and top sheet to do this, it wasn't an accident.

I'll take her to the vet tomorrow, but I seriously don't think UTI is the problem. I had yelled at her the evening before last for climbing the curtains next to the bed, and again last evening, and put her out of the room for a couple hours.

Perhaps it is the stress I am inflicting on her, I don't know. Does anyone think this is the problem? And how can I keep her from climbing the curtains?
How old is she? Has she been spayed? Unaltered cats are bad about peeing out of the box. I hope her vet visit goes well, it is very wise to rule out a uti!