Peeing over the edge of the box??

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, I must tell of Miss Kitty's odd pee-stance. She pees in the same position she poops. Most cats I've seen squat down a bit further when they pee, but not her. According to my boyfriend, she's done that since she was a kitten...the vet has never found anything wrong with her. She's just goofy.
The problem is that she does this right at the edge of the litter box. She backs up as close to the edge as she can, and pees. She's worse than a ferret! lol This isn't a problem with the covered litter box; the cover catches it so it doesn't end up on the floor. However, when she uses the open box, pee ends up all over the wall, the dresser, or the floor depending on what corner she picks (usually it's the floor).
I don't want to get rid of the uncovered litter box, since Zoe doesn't like the covered one. But at the same time, I can't have Miss Kitty peeing all over the carpet!
Help!!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoe'n'MissKitty

First, I must tell of Miss Kitty's odd pee-stance. She pees in the same position she poops. Most cats I've seen squat down a bit further when they pee, but not her. According to my boyfriend, she's done that since she was a kitten...the vet has never found anything wrong with her. She's just goofy.
The problem is that she does this right at the edge of the litter box. She backs up as close to the edge as she can, and pees. She's worse than a ferret! lol This isn't a problem with the covered litter box; the cover catches it so it doesn't end up on the floor. However, when she uses the open box, pee ends up all over the wall, the dresser, or the floor depending on what corner she picks (usually it's the floor).
I don't want to get rid of the uncovered litter box, since Zoe doesn't like the covered one. But at the same time, I can't have Miss Kitty peeing all over the carpet!
Help!!
I guess it's hard to say for sure what her motivation is for doing that. First thing that comes to mind is that she's too big for the litter boxes. Is that possible?
We've had to up-size some of our litter boxes due to the length/girth or some of our cats. I think that often they don't even realize they are aiming in the wrong area.
We've found that using a large rubbermaid container stops this problem entirely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's possible...she's a fat cat, no matter how little she gets fed! But she manages just fine when she poops....
We need new litter boxes anyway, so I may try to find some bigger ones and see if that helps!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Reilly does that too, no matter what I did he always peed over the edge..then my dad came over and we got inventive. This is Reilly's litter box now

We took a rubbermaid container and cut an opening for him to go in and out. It's high enough that he never pees over the edge and it's easy to clean.

hbrady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Josie sometimes poops over the side of the box. I've realized she does it when she thinks the box isn't clean enough. She tries to find a spot she hasn't gone in yet and scoots too close to the edge. She's persnickety about her box. I gave in and I scoop it everyday to keep her happy.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlotte also pees on the sides of the box. Do you have a high sided litter box? That was the cure for Charlotte's way of peeing.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she do this with fresh kitty litter? Sweety will do this if any fabric, carpet, any material is outside the box or if it is dirty, but she is a single kitty.

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoe'n'MissKitty

Help!!
My PJ does this - she stands up regardless of whether she poops or pees. She pees all over the side of our boxes - both of which have to be covered. I got tired of wiping up after her all the time!
My Teddy pees like a normal cat - he squats his butt all the way down!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my profession, we get asked this question all the time. I also have an "overachiever" when it comes to peeing. I solved the problem by buying Sterilite storage containers, the big 73 quart ones. The 68 quart just aren't tall enough. I use these instead of Rubbermaid, because Rubbermaid has a ridge around the bottom that I find difficult to scoop urine clumps out of. Sterilite containers are flat on the bottom and IMO, easier to scoop. My cats do not have a problem with the height of the boxes, but you can put a small cat condo or something sturdy next to it if you want, so they can get in easier. They really aren't that much bigger than regular litterboxes, just taller. Also, a lot of cats HATE scented litter, and will shy away from it as much as possible, thus the backing up to the edge. If you aren't already using unscented litter, maybe give that a try. Arm and Hammer is good, but I use Everclean. I think that's the best, though a little dusty..I have a lot of traffic in my boxes, so Arm and Hammer might work ok for you with 2 cats. Good luck!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

In my profession, we get asked this question all the time. I also have an "overachiever" when it comes to peeing. I solved the problem by buying Sterilite storage containers, the big 73 quart ones. The 68 quart just aren't tall enough. I use these instead of Rubbermaid, because Rubbermaid has a ridge around the bottom that I find difficult to scoop urine clumps out of. Sterilite containers are flat on the bottom and IMO, easier to scoop. My cats do not have a problem with the height of the boxes, but you can put a small cat condo or something sturdy next to it if you want, so they can get in easier. They really aren't that much bigger than regular litterboxes, just taller. Also, a lot of cats HATE scented litter, and will shy away from it as much as possible, thus the backing up to the edge. If you aren't already using unscented litter, maybe give that a try. Arm and Hammer is good, but I use Everclean. I think that's the best, though a little dusty..I have a lot of traffic in my boxes, so Arm and Hammer might work ok for you with 2 cats. Good luck!
I agree!!!