Peeing outside the litter box- help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luna tuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One thing you might try is to make the litter more attractive to her than the rug.  There is a product called Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter that a lot of our members recommend for litter box problems. I'm not sure exactly how it works - it has something to do with the texture of the litter and a herbal attractant mixed in with it.  You don't have to keep using it forever - only until your girl is using her box regularly.  At that point, you start gradually shifting back to your original litter.  It's available at pet stores and amazon.  

I'm also including an article on litter box issues.  I know you've tried just about everything, but there might be something in there that gives you an idea.

[article="32366"] [/article]

Also an article on behavior modification - again, in case you see something helpful

[article="32493"] [/article]

Good luck with this.  Litter box problems can be among the most frustrating to address, as I know from experience.   If only they could speak!   :catguy:
Thanks! This is very helpful.

Molly92, as I said, she hasn't been avoiding the litterbox. She's using the rug as a second box.

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Using the litter box some, but not all, of the time is still referred to as litter box avoidance. Something is making her not want to use it all the time. You have some great suggestions and things to try above. I would also add that I've never heard of a cat uti going away on its own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luna tuna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well cats have immune systems too. UTIs go away on their own in humans, and that may not have been the issue. However, it seems that she's no longer avoiding the litterbox at all.