Peeing outside box randomly

Kelly1883

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi new to the boards here but thought I would ask question and see any advice. I have a 2 year old short hair male fixed tabby. About a year ago he peed outside his litter box I took him to vet and it was determined it was behavioral. Was told to try feliway, relocate litter box, give him extra boxes etc. I did all that and every few weeks he would pee somewhere he had peed before (I must not have got all the smell out of carpet) but all the while he was still also peeing in his box. Then I decided to take him back to vet and it was determined he was showing some signs of joint pain in his back so she started him on Dasuquin. That seemed to help but he still occasionally decides to pee outside his box! I’m at my wits end because the vet tells me it’s not medical, it’s behavioral and I cleaned the areas he has went as good as I can with enzyme cleaner. Is it a habit at this point? What else can I try?

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
quick question about the litter boxes .... I know you've said that you have multiple, are they different types? For example, easy entry vs high sided etc. Also if you have multiple floors in the home are there boxes on each level? IF it's joint related and they experience pain when getting to, or in, the boxes he might just not have the energy to always get to/in a box.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! If he's been cleared medically, it may be just preferences he has developed about his litter boxes/litter. There are some cats who decide they don't want to pee and poop in the same box, or pee more than once in the same box if the previous deposit(s) have not been removed. There are even cats who don't want to use the litter box if there has been some odor/tiny debris left in the box from previous uses. You will have to monitor the condition of the boxes/liter when he does go outside of it to see if you can find the pattern that best applies and then adjust accordingly.

You could try different boxes and/or litter, but I don't see that as being as likely to be the issue since he does properly use the boxes some of the time. It would seem to be something going on with the boxes/litter at those times he chooses not to use it. Or, as mentioned above you have different type boxes/litter and he prefers one over another - another pattern for you to look for.

I don't know what types of enzymatic cleaner(s) you have tried but you may need to move on to another type to see if it helps any. Everyone seems to get different results and what works for one cat doesn't always work for another cat. See if there are other techniques you can try in this TCS article.
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet - Effective, Non-toxic Solutions - TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelly1883

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice maybe the litter box I have on the main level (where he tends to pee outside the box) is the problem bc it’s an old plastic storage bin bc he has always been a high pee-er so he had to use a high sided box of some sort or he dribbles off the side. I’ll see what I can find or I’ll DIY a short side maybe that will work.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We placed our low-sided box inside a large tote and then cut a door in the tote for easy access and with a litter trap mat helps to keep the mess in the tote and not on my floor. Ours is clear and the door is right at the bottom so there's no stepping in, it's also in a private area so we don't worry about it being see through and causing performance anxiety lol.
looks kinda like this:
1713885711458.png

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We placed our low-sided box inside a large tote and then cut a door in the tote for easy access and with a litter trap mat helps to keep the mess in the tote and not on my floor. Ours is clear and the door is right at the bottom so there's no stepping in, it's also in a private area so we don't worry about it being see through and causing performance anxiety lol.
looks kinda like this:
View attachment 474880
If he has arthritis, he's still going to have trouble getting into the actual litter box.

You need to replace the covered box with the most very basic, inexpensive low sided box that you get at any pet store.

With Nobel's arthritis we had to change to that even with medications. I called it his senior box!

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ours IS low-sided - it's just our set up that is like the picture I added.

Sorry if that was confusing....I should have been more clear about that. Def need a no step in entry for tote and the litter box

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ours IS low-sided - it's just our set up that is like the picture I added.

Sorry if that was confusing....I should have been more clear about that. Def need a no step in entry for tote and the litter box
Oh thanks for clarifying! Is the box close to the tote's edge too? Lily did like the high sides with a low entrance so she could lean.

Are the mats in front able to slip? You could use some double sided tape to stick them down to make it more sturdy. And they would still be able to come up for cleaning.

orangie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There's just enough room for him to go in and "around the corner" to the box so that if we are walking by he doesn't feel like we can see him ;)
The mats are specifically a litter catcher mat from our local dollar store and they are a "rubbery" substance so no slipping even on the plastic tote bottom.