Peeing on Water Dish!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
So, w h a t   IS    THE DEAL???

I'm stumped!

Neutered - yes

He does spray so his inside space is usually limited to his room aka "Zone", and the outside enclosure, with his family - his mate and their two offspring.

One day I noticed that he peed on the water dish!!!!.  This was almost a year ago, and he's repeated it occasionally.

Tonight I cleaned the water dish - yes, used dish detergent - but rinsed thoroughly - well,  I think so!!! -  I added fresh spring water - from the cooler - in the newly cleaned bowl.  When he walked over to it, I didn't pay any attention because I'm was typing in one of the forums here - then I happened to look over again and he was pawing at the carpet and the furniture.

WELL, I knew what he did!!  Then he walked over to the edge of the carpet and started stretching his claws over the carpet.  I told him "NO!" and picked him up and told him to get his butt out as I shoved him through the cat door.!  He's very sensitive and while I'm typing this he hasn't come back in - now I'm feeling guilty, ugh!

I cleaned it up with an enzyme cleaner - there wasn't much - so, now I'll have to refill the water dish because I'm not sure if he missed peeing in it, too.  

Guess I'm mostly venting my frustration here, but someone else may have had the same problem and has a possible solution for me??

We just took him to the vet for a GA groom - a lion cut.  He's so handsome - maybe he's just feeling his oats. ha!

Like I said before - I'm stumped as to why he's doing this - any ideas?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it a new water dish or the old one he peed on?  How often do you wash the dish? how often do you replace the water?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Is it a new water dish or the old one he peed on?  How often do you wash the dish? how often do you replace the water?
I'm afraid I've never experienced or heard of a cat doing this before. 

Is there any pattern to when he does it, like this time when the bowl has been cleaned and water is fresh? Is it always the same source/type of water?  Some 'alien' smell from the detergent or type of water perhaps?

Is there any other cat that might be getting in to his 'zone' where the water is?

I had one cat that wouldn't go near water in a bowl unless it had been standing for ages. She'd drink fresh from a running tap but not if it was still. She liked her water stale and horrible, she must have had an amazing immune system!  Her favourite was to get at the mucky gold fish tank water! 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try getting a stainless steel bowl and using bottled water. Even if you clean it, the urine smell will still be in any type of porous dish. Clean thoroughly around where the old bowl was sitting with a good enzyme cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle.