Peeing on couch

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought home our second kitten, Hex, a week ago. I screwed up on slow introductions. But Hex hid behind the couch for a couple of days, and he and first kitty (Leeto) are getting along just fine now.

Buuuuut.... Hex keeps peeing on the couch! He peed twice on the cushions, and I cleaned it with Simple Solution enzyme spray. The I washed the covers and soaked the cushions in vinegar water. (Which was a bad idea, because they have taken days to dry. Argh!)

While the cushions have been off the couch, we were using pillows... Until Hex peed on one of those! And then, today, he peed on a blanket (on the couch) right in front of me!

I think he peed the first times because he was scared and staying in his safe zone. But what gives!? Even after cleaning with enzyme cleaners he is still peeing on the couch!

I changed the litter to see if he prefers a different type. (And Miss Leeto is taking all the newness like a champ! Thank goodness!) But still no.

I currently have him shut in a bathroom with bed, food, water, litter box, and a couple toys. I let him out to play and get some lovin' every now and then. I feel so bad keeping him shut in there. But I can't handle the peeing!

He is 17 weeks. Not neutered yet, that is scheduled for next week. But it is peeing, not spraying.

I've been reading through all the old related threads. So I have read up on most suggestions. (UTI, citrus, new litter, new box, etc) But any advice is welcome!

wildhoneybee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I have no suggestions for you but I feel your pain - one of mine peed on my bag of knitting wool behind my sofa at the weekend!  Good luck with your kitties.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would check for a UTI. It is possible he could have gotten one from holding it too long during the "I'm scared and will hide under the couch forever" phase. If that isn't it, he could be smelling your other cat on things and wanting to mark what he wants to be his with urinating on it. I think when he becomes more comfortable that will stop. Very often though it's a UTI and you don't have to solve the behavioral issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What are the symptoms of a UTI? Other than peeing on soft stuff, of course.

He has a vet appointment soon, so I will make sure to ask about that. (As well as some other issues: waxy ears and stinky breath). This kitty is stressing me out! His sister is perfect. I was so hoping it would be a family trait. :/

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes only these behaviors in early cases, in advanced cases howling in the litter box while trying to pee, Sometimes missing the litter box. This will not be a permanent issue but will just take some patience ruling out physical issues first. In the meantime I'd try to make kitty feel safe and secure. I assume there is no peeing in the bathroom where you are keeping him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisismallory

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He pees in the litter box when he is in the bathroom.

Is it OK to keep him in the bathroom? How much time do I need to interact with him? I have 3 young kids, so it's really hard to dedicate focused time to watching and playing with Hex alone. (And I can't trust him out very long, because if I get distracted, next thing I know he's peed on the couch again!)

But I really do feel awful keeping him in there. :/