peeing on bed

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there
I am in need of all the help i can get!! My year old kitty has taken to peeing on our bed. Its happened twice now and have no idea why. Shes never pee'd outaide the litter box before. Nothing in the house has changed...litter is the same...food is the same....everything is exactly the same. Our other kitty is completely fine (touch wood) i honestly have no idea what to do. The only thing i can think of is the fact that both times she has done the sheets have been new?! I've washed them and am now in the process of washing the doona itself......what do i do???

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might be right - maybe she didn't like the smell of the new sheets.  If there is a possibility that she has a urinary tract infection, you might want to take her to the vets.  That can make them pee inappropriately.

I hope you can figure it out.

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a very good chance it was that the new sheets did not smell like anything your cat was used to and so it felt the need to claim its territory. If you bring new sheets in to your house again try to wash your new sheets with your other laundry before putting them on the bed.

It could be a UTI or other health issue but it could also be territorial or behavioral. When my cat Fawkes started peeing outside the litter box on my couch cover it took me four days to figure out that it was because the litter boxes weren’t spotless. All of a sudden she decided that if there was ‘anything’ in the litter box she wasn’t going to use it, and she did this out of the blue and for no real apparent reason. Give cleaning the litter boxes a try and try your best to keep them spotless for a few days and see if that helps anything. You may just have a ‘very’ picky cat. Because Fawkes is ‘so’ picky we’ve toilet trained her and that has helped immensely.

To help us get a better picture do you mind answering some questions?

Your cat is about a year old, correct? How old is the other cat? Are they both the same gender? How long have you had each cat? Are they spayed/nurtured? Do they have any previous health issues? What diet are they on? And are your cats de-clawed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there...our troublesom kitty is flik and she just turned one.....our other kitty is cleo and she is 11 months....both females....both have been fixed. We have had both cats since they were 2 months old. We also hve a dog that we have had for roughly the same time. We have two litter box's that we try and keeo really clean but we are both at work during the day. I try to wash them at least once a week with disinfectant and put nww litter in. Diet hasnt changed...they are on science diet kitten kibble and dine wet food. They are not de-clawed. Flik is desperate to get outside abd tries to open the front door....could it be a spite thing to get out if the house???

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would rule out a medical reason first. Have a urinalysis done and make sure there is not a physical reason. If there isn't, then you can try all the usual behavioral suspects: different litter boxes, different litter, different placement, Feliway, etc.

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. UTI's can be fatal if they're not addressed, so it's best to get that checked out first before you try any behavior altering.