Peeing Issues

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, yes.  My kitty (Oliver) does have a history of a urinary blockage.  And yes, the vet checked for crystals again last time we were in. No crystals, but we are keeping him on the prescription diet just in case.  I know my kitty, and I'm going with 95% sure this isn't a health issue.

I think it is more behavior related this time.  We got a new kitten back in January.  Things have been going steadily downhill since then.  More peeing in the sink, on the carpets, and now on the wood floors.  I have no idea how to fix this.  I think part of the issue is the kitten - he is a little rambunctious, and I have seen him bug Oliver when he is using the box.

We have boxes on all three levels of our home, some are pine litter, some clay.  He uses the boxes consistently for pooping, but not peeing.  If we plop him in a box and watch him, he will go right away.  But when we aren't watching, he goes out of the box.  With the school year started up, we have less of an eye on him and this is really starting to be an issue.

Suggestions?  We are relegating him to the basement for a period of time, hoping to take the stress of the kitten bugging him off.  He is allowed up, when we can supervise and watch.  But that's no life for him to live.  Any other ideas???

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You may want to read up on FLUTD.  Cats with a history of urinary problems are more prone to having issues due to stress.  Have you tried a Feliway diffuser?  It has been said they can really help with urinating out of the box if it is stress related.  I don't think you can rule out a medical issue at this time.  Too many things can go wrong with their plumbing, especially, with a history.

I'm going through this with one of mine but I'm pretty sure its medical.  Good luck.