Peeing Issues...help!!

kct4304

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there are other threads about this issue but I was hoping someone would be able to shed some light on the specific problem that I am having....

Roughly 3 weeks ago we moved 300 miles from NY into PA, we are currently staying with my cousin in her basement. We have 3 cats and we are all staying down here and the cats do not go upstairs. We sleep in the finished half and the litter box is in the unfinished half.

We have 3 cats, 1 is fine all the time, my specific cat is kind of a scaredy cat but is okay under certain situations and then the 3rd is our problem child. She is the 1st cat's mother and that is why we have her, she is feral and hides 99% of the time. She comes out occasionally as long as not too many things are going on, knows the first cat is her's and will try and cuddle with him. At a previous house they would cuddle and lick each other often, while here he is rather mean to her and bites her in a not so playful manor when she comes and rubs her face on his. Sometimes he deals with it while other times he 'attacks' her.

Now one of our cats kept knocking over the litter box (it was uncovered) and litter would go on the floor, a cat was peeing on the litter on the floor. (there are carpet tiles in the unfinished half) we cleaned it as soon as we found it with natures miracle products 'for cats' and cleaned up the litter. We also tried putting less litter in the box and that seemed to help the tipping problem. Then yesterday I put too much litter in when I completely changed out the litter from the box, it tipped she peed on the spot again. This has happened maybe 5 times but really only within the last week and a half, not immediately after we arrived here. And it doesn't happen every time she goes to the bathroom, it's only peeing and if it happens it only happens like once a day and I'm sure she pees more than once a day.

So today I went and bought a covered litter box, thinking if they can't tip it over or get it on the floor she won't pee on it. We set it up for them, gave them fresh litter, cleaned the area COMPLETELY and left it. Honestly, within an hour we hear her making noises in the other room and I go in there to check it out and wouldn't you know she peed on the floor again!!

I'm at a loss for what to do. Should I put tin foil on the floor? It might be because of moving, but she didn't do it right away. Is she sad her son hates her? Does she just hate peeing in a litter box? Obviously you won't know these specific answers but I just need some advice. This isn't my house, I can't have her continuing to pee in their basement and I don't really want to live in a room that smells like cat pee. I also don't think it has anything to do with the fact that she is stuck in the basement because she hides so much that I'm not even sure if she knows there is a way out!

I asked my girlfriend if she did this in previous houses and she said the only time she would have issues is if she tried to change them to anything besides clay littler (swheet scoup) they would pee next to the litter box.

I'm not sure if she was the first cat to pee in the litter the first time it was knocked over but i'm 100% positive she has been the one to do it most recently.

Please help!!!! The other 2 cats are using the covered litter box just fine.

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you ever just try a really large litter box with high walls, and too much litter in it to allow them to tip it over? The weight would prevent that.

Seems that it's just become habit now for them to pee on the floor as well; I'm thinking here; MAYBE, you could try a couple things; first, place plastic down on that area of the floor--might make cleaning easier. Or, place plastic down and then some litter; to at least get them used to going in litter again in that area. Then work your way up to having a litter box in that spot as well. Since it seems to be the spot they are attached to, this might work.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree a bigger litterbox with more litter that they can't tip over is in order. they do sell rubber mats for under the boxes and you might get one of those to cover the 'spots'. If she's peeing on unfinished concrete that's very porous and will be hard to clean completely.I would also get some petodor removal enzyme cleaner to attack the floor where your kitty has peed before putting down the mat.

Also how many boxes do you have ATM? with three cats you should have at least 3.

Cats also dislike change immensely, beign creatures of habit. So your cats may be stressed out because they have just moved and you are in a temporary situation, and it sounds like their living quarters may have been reduced in size. You might want to look into some feliway diffusers and cat attract litter additive. It's helped me greatly reduce my cat's anxiety and need to have accidents from time to time.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need at least four litter boxes with three cats. Keep the covered one if you want, put the old one back, and add two more.

In addition the stress of the move could have cause her to get a urinary tract infection, and those hurt. When it hurts to pee, cats will blame the litter box for the pain, and so pee else where, Or, possibly in her case, knock the litter over and pee in it on the floor.

The first thing to do is get her to the vet.

let us know how she makes out.

Oh and a feliway plug in diffuser can go a long way toward easing the stress of the new place. But she really needs the vet first.

mittykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My one cat, a lovely big boy called Marmalade, has always had issues with peeing. usually he just leaks a little if we've been on vacation or something, but a short while ago, he started having trouble doing his duty and peeing blood. we got him to the vet, only to be back a week later. two different meds, three appointments and an X-ray later, he's sort of better. we got him special wet food for urinary issues, and all-natural urinary medication that you put in his water. we have baskets of news paper out for him, but he's still peeing all over! he's not having trouble, and not really peeing blood any more, but he's peeing all over! I'm really worried for my baby boy, but he stresses over traveling so I don't want to be hauling him to the vet again. 

suggestions??!! 

Last edited: