Peeing issue and Cat Genie (automated cat box)

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I need some help with getting one of our cats to adopt the cat genie. We thought that she was using the box on a regular basis but we found her hiding spot for going #2 in the dining room and we just found out that she was going #1 in one of the boxes (we just moved into our house four months ago and we had a few... boxes that were not unpacked). Our other cat took to the Cat Genie with no issues.

We've tried treats, positive reinforcement and we're at a loss to get our little cat to use the CG without going back to the old method of scooping. Also, this is an expensive investment and we're trying all solutions before we give up and through out a few hundred dollars.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know what aspect is disturbing your cat? You can try turning it off and try using it as a normal box, see if that works. You can try using it with cat attract litter for a while, then switch to the permanent pellets, then try turning it on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We could try going to the manual setting again but, unfortunately, the way the machine works is that you have to use litter that the company makes or the machine could malfunction.

Do you think locking Lola up in the room with the box would help? We could set up the manual box for Sassy but I don't want Sassy to regress, though she seems more amiable to the new box. We did slowly transition from the manual box to the Cat Genie after a couple of months.

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I transitioned 8 cats to using 3 cat genies, and I understand your frustration. This is what worked for me, hopefully it will work for you.

The cat attract in the cat genie is a good idea. Since it's herbs it won't interfere with the genie's granules and is safe to add.

Set up a regular old litter box next to the cat genie and add standard litter. Make sure both it and the genie are clean at first. Your cat that doesn't like the genie will go in the old box, and the other cat might too (don't worry, it won't regress!).

Do NOT clean the regular box, no matter what. I know it's gross, but we know cats are fastidious and hate dirty litter boxes. Check the genie often. I would not program it to run on it's own yet, but run the cycle when it's dirty and at a time the cats don't normally need to use the box.

Once the regular box fills up and the cats find it too gross to get in it, the clean cat genie with the cat attract herbs in it will look much more appealing. Keep any eye out for who uses it. Once you see both cats using it for both #1 and #2, you can remove the regular box entirely.

This worked for me. I know the old box will get smelly and gross, but after trying everything else on a peeing-elsewhere cat, this is what finally got her into the cat genie. Once they both use it regularly, you won't regret the purchase!

Good luck to you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sassy's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Was there a specific brand of herbs that you used or in a certain delivery method: spray vs. crushed up herbs?

Thank you for responding, we'll definitely try your ideas.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many have found using the actual Cat Attract litter is worthwhile. A vet designed it especially for cats with box issues.

That said, honestly, I'd give up if the Cat Attract doesn't work. For some reason your cat simply is not comfortable with the CG. Lots of cats hate the CG - it's not just her.

IMO, this is causing her stress - enough to go outside the box, and possibly stressing her enough to start causing UTI's etc. For me, it wouldn't be worth the anxiety for both of us (cat and me). And, since she's going outside the box, if she doesn't immediately return to using a regular box, if you introduce one, I'd get her to the vet asap - I wouldn't be surprised if she has an UTI. And, yes, sadly, I've got experience with cats disliking certain litters or boxes.

BTW, where did you get the CG - at least last year, a Petsmart manager said they'd refund the price of some of those automated boxes if the buyer returned it - apparently those boxes don't have a giant success rate. They're great if your cat likes them, but....