Peeing in the bathtub

jenny bear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

Just for advice really as I am new to the cat owning business.

I have two lovely black and white moggies, from the same litter. They are both 5 months now and their behaviour is generally pretty good. Our communication with each other is pretty in sync and they both seem relaxed in the house.

The pair have plenty of toys to play with and each other for company when I am not at home.

Both are fully trained with their littler box and will only urinate or poo in these, but for some strange reason every time I have been out and then come home, I will go to the toilet on return and one of the cats will come up to the bathroom and urinate in the bathtub. This is the only time that she does this and no other time. If I leave her out of the bathroom she goes in after to do it.

I am wandering if this is some anxious behaviour or if maybe she is not as happy as I think she is? I mentioned this to the vet nurse and she just said she had never heard of this behaviour before but maybe I should see if she is anxious.

She doesn't hide or shy away from me, and has a good bond with her Sister who is possibly a little more cheeky, neither seem to be more dominant then the other, does anyone have any insight into this?

Thanks

Jenn

speshlneedsreqr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To be safe, the first step is a vet exam to rule out urinary crystals or infection (those are painful and cats will attempt peeing on any other surface as they associate the box with pain.) Once kitty is cleared medically, other causes can be considered... There's a lot of great j go out there about this-- anything from box location, change in litter type or other cat intimidation can cause this problem-- but do start with a vet exam.

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, the above advice about vet care is mandatory.  Cats usually only pee in bathtubs when they are trying to tell you something.  I have one going through the same thing and we are in the long process of ruling out kidney and urinary tract disease.  At this point we only know that it is not infection.

The first thing they will want is a urine specimen.