Peeing all over house after escaping for 3 weeks

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, 

I've been having an recurring issue with one of my cats. Alfalfa is 11 and adopted from the shelter a year ago. He recently got out and spend 3 weeks in the woods outside my apartment before my neighbors snatched him up for me. The are other cats outside, probably outdoor cats and maybe a stray or two. He has been home for about 3 months now. They have two large open litterboxes that are kept clean. 

I put a new box behind the front door, and that seemed to stop all the extra peeing. But I hate having it there, and it smells up the living area. The cats have been using this new, much smaller, box almost exclusively. And it gets gross fast. I took the box away a few days ago because it was getting so gross and the whole floor got covered in litter. So they started using the floor too. Its turned into a mess. But now the peeing around has started up. There's pee on my counter, bathroom floor, around the chair Alfalfa normally sits on, and along the wall that faces outside. I've been cleaning with nature's miracle.   

I'm pretty sure this isn't marking, as its not a small amount. But I can't understand why as he must be using the other boxes to poop in. Of the two other boxes, they use the one against the outside wall more than the one that is more inside.  

I'm looking for any suggestions. Thanks!

ohws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The rule is simple, you have one less cat than the number of litter boxes you can tolerate. Do you meet this criterion?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats usually prefer to poo in one box and pee in another. Don't ask me why, I have no idea. 

I would guess that they like the ones along the outside walls and by the door because they feel they're marking the edges of their territory. 

I vote for putting that litterbox back, waaay easier to deal with a nasty litterbox than to be cleaning up pee all over the house. Then I'd plug in some Feliway diffusers. Long-term, I'd try to TNR all those cats wandering around behind your place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sterlingthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I will be buying another litterbox to put back. I got frustrated with the constant smell and threw the other one out. I just can't figure out why this only started after he came back home. 

I've tried to take care of the wandering cats. I took in one and found a home for a brother and sister my neighbor found. The problem is I live in a fairly rural area and I think people drop off their unwanted cats by my apartment. 

I will look into feilway when i go to the store next. Thanks! 

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I will be buying another litterbox to put back. I got frustrated with the constant smell and threw the other one out. I just can't figure out why this only started after he came back home. 
Maybe he got used to peeing where ever when he was outside? You could try a "Litterbox Bootcamp" and confine him to a small space with a litterbox until he's reliably using it again. The ASPCA has an article detailing the idea.