Peebo crosses the rainbow bridge today...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelley

I thought of that too but not sure what Larry would want to do...

If the dogs came up and Bro was inside that would cause him to throw himself

against the fencing and or trauma more..than he is now.

So I imagine that we will get a nylon harness and just have to walk him outside

twice a day..and take protection with us ...to protect him and us too...

The sheriff told me two years ago in that situation you can protect yourself

and your animals on your land and encouraged me to do so if you have the opportunity

which is hard to get a chance to get killer animals still in your yard..

The entire pack will kill cats..the owner told me so at church last year

and yet I had no idea his were some that were coming to my home

through a half mile of woods...

Thanks for the thought..

love sheri

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's too bad. I understand.  well, as long as you can get a good, secure harness for Bro, he shouldn't mind too much. He will probably feel safer with you guys there anyway.   

Seems like animal control would do something about them ,if told about it, a very stern warning at the least. Your vet could verify the injuries. 

Last edited:

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kelley

I bought a nylon harnass today one for a medium  dog and Bro is about 16 pounds our last child/8 year old tabby...

he does not like it..I am going to check to see if there is  a better one for cats...

This is a step in lightweight nylon...easy to use but surely there has to be an easier thing for a cat?

anyone know of anything I can use...or advice to walk  bro in the yard ?

I noticed the other neighbor has 6 puppies now because he will not neuter or spay

and he has about 50 cats..these will all be in the woods and at homes bothering other

pets...including my last child/cat Bro. so he can not be an outside cat again as he was for 8 years with his brother Leo and Peebo  and Ms. Kitty..

There are no laws in the city for loose dogs and none here either...

I just have decided to not have any more pets after Bro is deceased..

It is so lonely without Peebo and leo.. I am in so much grief so lonely

but have to move on

It has been 7 days today that Peebo was mauled and put down at the vet..

Any hints out there for walking a cat outside so that I can grab him if a dog

comes in the yard?

SheriT

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sheri, I know what you mean. When I tried walking Angel, as I transitioned him to indoor only, he hated it too! I would get hissed at when trying to put it on, but mostly taking it off. I think it just wasn't comfortable. 

I found some on a few sites for you to take a look at, but they look like the kind we had. I have seen others on here that had more of a nylon material, & more jacket like, for lack of a better term. They look more comfortable.  I think they close w/ Velcro.  You may want to start a thread asking what kind of harnesses people have, that take their cats out.  Angel weighing around 15 lbs, took a large.

I'm sure there are threads here about walking a cat on a leash & harness if you do a search.

For us, it just made things worse. Angel was so used to getting to be out on his own (except I always made him come in at night).  That even though I took him out twice a day. Once in the morning before work, & when I got home. I would try to give him about 30 minutes in the morning, & more when I got home, since there was more time. Usually about an hour. But, no matter how long, (longer if I could), I stayed out w/ him, he was never ready to come in. I think maybe once or twice he came up w/ me w/out having to be brought up, but rarely. I would have to pick him up, to bring him in. He didn't want to come up the stairs, he wanted to stay out.

One day I picked him up, to come in, & was holding him like a baby in my arms, & he reached up & slapped me on the cheek!! I grabbed his little paw, & said firmly, "NO, NO HIT MOMMY!"  inside, I took his harness off, & ignored him for a few minutes, (that's what they say to do)  so he got the message.  It hurt my feelings, & I didn't like getting hissed at about the harness either, so it was just creating more stress for both of us, so I hate to sat it, but his UTI, & later, cystitis ended up being a blessing in disguise, because I just kept him in after that. Fortunately, it was an easy transaction, because of the amatriptyline he was on at the time to relax his bladder spasms. (but it's also what made him gain the weight!)   August was 4 yrs now of him being indoor only.  Also, have you considered getting a comfortzone plug in for Bro? I think it would help w/ his stress.

Sending healing hugs!!!!  

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith....itorID=&cartcount=0&wishcount=0&division=cats

http://www.chewy.com/cat/cat-325?query=cat+harnesses&nav-submit-button=Submit

http://www.wag.com/search/cat-harnesses?s=cat harnesses&ref=srbr_wa_unav#fromSearch=Y

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI Kelley

I just got home from an hour to  a petsmart

I found one..just one vest with velcro and I got a medium if not right

I will have to return it and get the large...

They do not make these available ...it seems

and this will have no metal near Bro and soft

and hook at the top over the velcro!

I hope it works will post a picture of it and him

this weekend...on here..

The lady over heard me in Petsmart and she said I clean the cages and I pet the cats

and we have a tuxedo would you like to pet it...this afternoon

I looked at my husband and he said not yet..so I did not as I would cry and feel sorry

for the cat..and they do charge 75.00 or so cat is neutered and shots...for that price I think

but these cats were 4 months and older and I would need  a kitten because Bro is 8 and a male

and he needs a small kitten to get used to...if I decide to undertake a cat..knowing the cat

can outlive me...and no one to care for it...if something happens to both of us..

What do you know of Tuxedos behavior and personality?

this was one..

I like the white cats with a few black markings such as this cat that is my mothers

who paid and got him from a no kill cat home shelter..3 years ago..

She named him after my Leo that was rattlesnake bit in June of this year..

Here is her Leo..black and white..so photogenic of a cat..and comical too..

I am not sure I will get a kitten again...

lst cat Peebo  9 years old euthanized last week/ did pilates with  me on the floor..which made me laugh

2nd cat is bro the remaining cat that is in grief over Peebo he is 8 years old and he watched football on my husbands lap while my husband is yelling and watching college football..

4th cat is Leo that died this summer from snake bite and he was 5 and my flower garden and blog cat

3rd cat is a rescue in Atlanta belongs to my mother. He was named after my Leo..love his markings

and  since I love photography I have been blessed to have strays that became pets and were photgenic

SheriT

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sheri,

Perhaps we should start PM'ing each other, since we seem to be the only ones left conversating here. 

I'm glad you were able to find a good harness for Bro. I hope he likes it! 

I wouldn't have been able to go look at the kitties either, it is too soon. as far as the black & white cats, no, I don't really know anything specific about them. They're just another domestic short hair, like most cats, so would think it's just a matter of their individual personality, etc..     I know what you mean about maybe not having anymore after Bro. I often think of that as well. As much as I am "in love" with Angel, & he really is my heart, my baby, It's just the two of us, so he is used to that, & me always being here. No other cat to be here to keep him company, or play with. (not that he would tolerate another one, & I couldn't afford another one, He cost me enough).

I can't/don't travel. (not that I could afford to anyway, but..)  Even a night, or weekend away, I have not done.  The last time I went out of town was about 4, or (5?) falls ago now. I went up to an Aunt's house (my mom's twin sister), w/ my mom & sister. The 3 of us drove the 6 hrs to the mountains for a weekend. We left very early in the morning, so my dad came over later in the morning, to feed Angel his breakfast, & a client of mine who has cats, came & stayed the weekend w/ Angel. I was nervous, because that's when he still went outside, so asked neighbors to keep an eye on him if outside, as well. I also made sure she knew to make him come in at night. It was the first & only time (not counting a stay at the vets) I have ever left him. It was hard to say goodbye. I remember sitting in the back of my mom's car leaving the house, silently crying.  I do wish I could get away though. I work so hard & a vacation would be so nice, but it would be hard to leave him, & would worry about him getting stressed out that I'm gone, & getting cystitis again.  
 After everything he's been through, & he's so sensitive,& my mom is the only one I would trust to stay here w/ him. She knows about it all. I tell her everything. 

Great pictures, by the way. 

Kelly

sherit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much about Peebo today is the first day I have not cried since Oct 27th...and it is Nov 12th today

Bro the other cat who was chased and saw the attack on Peebo by dogs...has really been looking for Peebo every day

out side when we are with him..he stays inside otherwise..

We decided since Bro loves the outdoors and lived outside most of the year with the other cats until they died this year

that we will get him a xlarge crate...open on all sides for the front porch and a huge blanket and let him sit in that

during they day for an hour to sniff the air , watch the deer and squirrels and be safe.

I will be inside but at times I can not hear what is outside so I can not leave him without a large crate

that is made for a large dog..metal..

Hope this works...

My husband mentioned a kitten before christmas, what do you think of getting a kitten

for inside with Bro who is 8 years old...neutered and had been with two males

for his entire life..not from the same litter...they were all  strays who came

up...to our home from the woods as small kittens..over the years..

What will I need to watch for and how to not create more stress for Bro, a kitten or myself and husband.

Bro stays up meowing most of the night..and has for years...even when Peebo and Leo were alive

and in the house with him during the winter nights...

Sheri T

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Sheri,

So nice to hear you are starting to heal a little. I know you have God's peace. A large dog crate sounds like a great idea for Bro. I'm sure he will like that. Yea, it would be confusing, trying to figure out if a new kitty will be good for Bro, or too much stress so soon.  Are you guys ready for a kitten & all their silliness? ..& work.  Something to think about for sure.

I'm not sure how you feel about this, but there are people who communicate with animals. I do believe that some people are blessed with this gift. I know they have been of great help in certain situations.  

I know some of our fellow members have used them when needed. LDG has one she has used before, especially to help the colony she was feeding understand that they were moving, & to help them understand why she was capturing them in crates to relocate.  Anyway, I know there are reputable ones out there.  I am mentioning this because I think it would be a wonderful way to communicate w/ Bro about what he went through, how he is doing, why things have changed for him for going out, & certainly about a new addition.  I don't know what people charge, but one I read about a while back, was only about 30.00 or 40.00 for a 30 minute session.  So, it wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. If interested, I'm sure you could pm Laurie (LDG) for a referral. I'm sure she will be glad to help. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, a pet psychic actually.  (I would only contact one from a referral, to know they are legit).      Nice picture!