Pee there and everywhere

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a problem with my little kitten girl. She is 8 months old. She knows how to use the litter box and uses it daily. Homever, during the night, she always pees on my bed. I used to wash my blankets daily. I have tried pretty much everything. Now I sleep without blanket and I have plastic table cloth on my bed so she doesn't pee on it. It works but I don't sleep well at all without the blanket. Every time I start using the blanket, she pees on it again. I have asked the vet for help in this situation, she just told me that it seems like an psychologial thing and she just likes peeing on the blanket. She never does it during the day. She uses the litter box. To me it almost seems like she forgets to use the box. I often lift her in the box and then she pees there. I love her a lot but this really needs to stop, I am so tired for not sleeping well. And it can't be nice to her either.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How far is the litter from your bed?

Did the vet do a urine test?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No tests done, she said it doesn't sound like infection. I'm considering bringin her to another vet because I am not completely satisfied on the first vet's answer either :/ I have one litter box right next to the bed and two at bathroom. I have 3 other cats who have never done anything outside the box.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would get a second opinion as it is vital to rule out medical issue first. The vet is correct that it is uncommon in a cat so young but we did have one kitten in our adopter group who did have one. I'm thinking it could just be like how a child with a bladder infection might have an accident.

Did you clean the blanket with some enzymatic cleaner or just in the regular wash?

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will get an second opinion. I'll call to another vet clinic which is specialized to cats when they open again on monday.
I wash them in a washing machine and after that I spray them with enzymatic cleaner. I have pretty much soaked my mattress in the enzymatic cleaner 😅 It smells so much like chemicals that my head starts hurting
Todays example on the peeing behaviour.
No peeing on a bed at night because no blanket for me 🥶. At morning, the first thing I do is lift her to the litter box, shee pees a lot. I go to work, I come back home, I can tell she needs to go to pee but it's almost like she doesn't remember where the litter boxes are. I lift here at the box and once again she starts peeing. She uses the boxes herself too, of course she always goes to number two at the litter box, but to pee, I almost always have to "remind" her. Sometimes when I come home from work she remembers "oh yeah box time!" Sometimes not. And during the night, she never uses them.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have four cats, and mentioned three litter boxes. First rule of thumb is that you need one box for each cat, plus one. So unless you have more litter boxes somewhere else, adding in two additional boxes may help.

For yourself, have you tried putting your blanket back on the bed, then covering the blanket with the plastic tablecloth? That way at least you can be warm, although it will still be somewhat noisy whenever you need to move (but still much warmer)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On top of what mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens suggests, have you tried some litter attract?

Kittens can be distracted easily. Once I was trying to put a toy away and Ghost came out of the box mid-pee to chase it.

It seems she's very distracted.

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your answers! Definetly getting more litter boxes! I have never tried litter attract products and with a quick google, it seems like they are not even sold in my country.
Last night she peed on the table cloth in my bed and of course with it being plastic it did not absorb any liquid, so there was pee everywhere. I had to wash her, myself and all my bed sheets under the tablecloth. It was 2 am, I had lifted her on the litter box at 11:30pm before I went to sleep and she peed there then. Because I had nothing to protect my mattress anymore I had to throw her out of the bedroom and close the door. Usually I can't do that because either she or my other cats start screaming at the door to be let in. (And if I leave any cats in here with me then they want out, and when I let them out they want back in in like 5 minutes 😅) But last night I was lucky and they were all sleepy and quiet.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Sleep deprivation is just not good! Remember to take care of yourself in order to take care of the kitties. Were it me, temporarily, I’d keep all cats out and wear ear plugs. A full night’s sleep will help you make better decisions about this whole pee thing. Please let us know how the extra litter boxes & second opinion fare.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I've had kittens and teenage kittens, I used disposable aluminum roaster pans and put one in every single room of the house. That way, when kitty had to go, they didn't have to go far to find a "box". Also, have you recently changed litter? How often do you scoop the box and clean it and replace the litter? Running calming agents in your home may also help, especially if there's any tension in your home.

My male cat is prone to inappropriate peeing when he's extremely inflamed from IBD. He pees anywhere and everywhere. We have pee pads under towels in certain areas where he is prone to urinate in and that helps some. I wash all the soiled linens and bedding in Nature's Miracle Laundry Boost, which works amazingly well. Amazon.com carries it. We had to put him on Prozac to help with some other things, but it also helps him not pee inappropriately, which is a nice bonus.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible the litter box is too small. My boxes are right next to my bed,storage bins.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plastic bottom sheets you can get which might help protect the mattress (while you are solving the problem).

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all of your answers ❤ I slept like a log last night with the door closed and with earplugs. 2 of my cats slept with me in the bedroom and the kitten slept outside the bedroom with my oldest cat. When I woke up and let her in the bedroom I lifted her to the box right away and she peed a lot.
The litter boxes I use are called "topcat" they are big and deep boxes. There is a hole in the roof of the box where the cat goes in. I scoop the boxes every morning and evening (and in between if I smell they have used them). The litter or the box should not be a problem, they are the same that the breeder used and which she has used her whole life. Today I'll buy 2 more boxes and I'll also put one small extra box for her to use (it's the one we use at cat shows, little bit bigger that those roaster pans you talked about) The whole litter is changed and the boxes are washed every other week. I could try some calming agent but she does not seem to be stressed. All my cats are friends and they like to sleep in a one big kitty pile 😆
I'll called the vet office and told them the situation. We are going there on wednesday. I'll inform you all what we find out there!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds behavioral ( not psychological?)although as A Alldara mentioned ,besides the psychological comment,I'd certainly get a second opinion

I really do not believe it's a medical issue bit that MUST be ruled out completely

The reason I'm pretty confident this is behavioral is because she's marking ONE area,she knows where the box is ahd she only does this at night - she's only 8 months old and how long have you had her and introduced her to your 3residents?

Yes,there's not enough litter boxes BUT this is not the issue here,the issue is territorial,she is claiming her place with you as hers & hers only.... how are they all at " sharing" their space with little one ? Is she spayed

If you can elaborate on the group dynamic it would serve to get a better idea of what the root issue is to resolve it

You mentioned your cats are all " friends" & sleep in a " kitty pile"? You mean lounging & napping? She is the only one wanting to sleep with you at night or?

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again,lol
You also Saud something about " cat shows" ... so do you show a specific breed and if so what breed might that be--- I know I ask alot of questions but it's hard to get the big picture without specifics and details... Also,do you have vertical space for your cats- is the youngster a ground kitty or prefers vertical space?

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is oriental shorthair. 2 of my other cats are oriental shorthairs and one of them is common housecat. I have had her scince october and it took about an week to introduce her to the others. Lot's of vertical space, I have 2 cat trees and many cabinets they like to climb on. She is not spayed yet because her breeder wants to use her in breeding in the future. She has been in heat twice, and I do feel like that definetly makes her peeing behaviour worse. When we visit the vet on wednesday she will also get the hormonal implant. I would describe the group dynamic as quite relaxed. All the cats play with each other and take care of each other (sleep in the same bed, lick each other so on) She usually sleeps with the others during the night, she just comes to pee on my bed and otherwise sleeps with the others. Also, it's not only me who she pees on, my mom was staying at my place one weekend, she slept in a different room on an different mattress. She peed on her blanket that night.My housecat is the one who usually sleeps next to me, orientals sleep next to each other. She is obviously very "kittenlike" still. She is always playing with me, other cats or with the toys. The others play with her too, running around the house and playfighting. But she definetly is very imprinted (? Is that a right word) on me. She always meows to me, sits on my lap and purrs and also likes to bring me toys.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright,so you got her at about months and she's been with you for 4 months and she's got hormones raging,lol

Very typical of oriental short-hairs to cling to one another since they cannot ever get enough grooming and do not do very well with others, not the type of cat thst should ever be alone- a sensitive breed and they are typically very devoted to their humans so it's not any wonder why she is marking the beds....

Since she does not sleep with you it would only make sense to change what the bed means to her..... that's the place the humans rest,they well know your sleeping area and in cat language " sleep time" is vulnerable time- often a cat will mark their humans sleep area to ward off intruders but more commonly becausd they are anxious and staking out their claimed territories-as I mentioned it's territorial,even cats thst co- exist peacefully can display territorial behavior( plus she's not spayed ,stronger protective instincts)
if your non purebred has always slept with you ON the bed and she's claiming these spots because of the reasons I've tried to explain then what you can do is give her treats on the bed..... cats will not urinate where they eat,make it fun time on the bed,a bit of play-- scatter treats,favorite toys maybe even feed her on the bed for a while to break the habit ...

Given the choice( cage exception) cats don't spray where they eat,sleep or play

I'd say becsuse she sprayed the other bed as well thst she's also stressed,probably due to hormones becausd from what you tell me it doesn't sound like the dynamic is causing stress although I'm not able to observe ....

Hope that helps you to nip this in the bud - use an enzyme cleaner and be sure to get that scent out.....

Still,if it were me I'd want tests & a thorough exam to be certain she has no underlying medical issues....

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
The vet visit went well. The vet checked her bladder with ultrasound and took urine tests. Her bladder looked normal. She also got the hormone implant. The test results were supposed to be ready today but she has not called me. I would guess I have some answers tomorrow. I was gonna post here after I get the results, that's why I have been quiet 😁

Snuugel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! The test results were clear. No infections or anything abnormal.
She has not been sleeping in my room for 4 nights now and on those nights she has used the litter box all by herself. She sleeps on my bed during the day, and so far no peeing. Thank you all for your help and let's hope the implant will calm her down a bit. Hopefully we can get rid of this habit ❤