Pearl and her Children

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dee01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have tips on how to make water bowls less prone to freezing in the winter?

The water bowl is on a wooden platform in the garage, but there are no electrical outlets.

I thought about getting a Styrofoam container with a lid, cutting a hole for the bowl. Would this insulate it at least a little?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have tips on how to make water bowls less prone to freezing in the winter?

The water bowl is on a wooden platform in the garage, but there are no electrical outlets.

I thought about getting a Styrofoam container with a lid, cutting a hole for the bowl. Would this insulate it at least a little?
I think you can buy waterers for outdoor cats that keep them from freezing, but I don't have any other ideas, sorry.

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The styrofoam will help a tad. Not much. Deeper water is better - although you'll have to break the "crust" at the top still fairly often. Even having it in the garage out of the wind and off of the concrete helps some (again - not a ton). The other thing that helps is those thermal disks you can heat up in the microwave - put it right under the bowl so the bottom of the bowl touches the disk. Again - won't totally fix things, but I found it helped till I was able to work out the electrical issues. I've also heard that there are some kind of solar shower type bags you can rig up if it can be located in the sun (that I've never tried - but I remember reading that somewhere - you might search for it.

Here's the amazon link on the snuggle disks. Again - not a total fix. Some people love these more than I do - I never felt mine stayed even remotely warm as long as they were supposed to. But again - every little bit helps!

Keep us posted!