PC verses MAC

amanda8501

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

So What is it I CANNOT do on a Mac?
the only thing i have found on a mac that i cannot do is like if i want to watch a video at mtv.com or something like that because they are configured to work with a pc. Some websites are as well, but most problems are worked over. You can get microsoft office, with word and powerpoint and everything else.

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a PC, and I don't really care one way or the other except I love the Mac's OS. I'm still working on my roommate to get me a Powerbook but he's holding steady with his "never buy an apple computer." He's been using PCs since...almost before I was born, so he's way biased.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So many PC people are not even open to considering other options. I am glad that I work on both platforms and could really compare to make a choice. About 5 years ago the pressure was pretty big to join the PC world. That was when I first bought Office so I could use the most popular applications, i.e. Word, Excel, and Power Point.

According to urban legend, the Bill Gates machine actually used to pay software developers to NOT develop a version of their wares for Mac. Sometimes now, I still see residuals of that. Mac users can't use Google Earth, for example. It's disappointing, but it's not like I'd be on it every day.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think at this point it is more just plain personal preference and knowledge than anything that guides people's choices. It used to be that MACs were hands down the best for graphic design. While they may still have an edge in some aspects, overall it's pretty comparable - except that a lot of the graphics designers out there are already used to their MACs and convinced of their superiority.

MACs are less maintenance, but they are proprietary so they aren't upgradable piece by piece. To some people that's no big deal because when a system (PC or MAC) gets outdated to the point that they can't use it they will just buy a whole new system. To others, like us, being able to swap out for the next generation/newest technology of say, video card, or upgrade to a faster processor (because of next generation software
) without replacing the whole system is a bonus.

MACs are less targeted by viruses/spyware, etc., but that's also somewhat relative. Hackers and virus writers want to make the biggest impact. Since most corporations use Windows machines, that's what they target. Besides, it IS the "evil Microsoft empire".

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I could afford to have both, I would love to have a Mac as well as the PC I already own, because almost my entire use of the computer is for graphics. Like I said, I think I do a pretty good job with my graphics, using a PC. Not to mention the fact that all of my software is for a PC. It would be really really expensive to go out and buy ALL new software for the Mac. Programs like Photoshop, and Bryce 3D, as well as Paint Shop Pro, and even Dreamweaver are all pretty expensive. I couldn't afford to get all of that software in Mac, but if I could I'd love to be able to use both, and compare.

I know a man who has a Mac, and he does graphics on it. His graphics aren't better than what I can do on my PC. In fact to be honest they are inferior. I don't know if it's just him, and his graphics abilities, but judging from his work on a Mac, I don't see what is so superior about a Mac when it comes to graphics.

george'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used both. Macs are preferred by many of the doctors that I work for because they are capable of doing more graphics. I also have heard that they are less likely to be hacked into (viruses, worms, etc). I am comfortable with both. It's been a while since I've used a Mac, but found it to be more user friendly. I do know that the software availability was an issue though.

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only limit to MACs is they don't have all the video games the PC has and it takes about 6 months to a year for the MAC version of a game to release compared to the one for PC. Every other piece of software for the PC is also available for MAC or at least a comparable one for MAC is available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

If I could afford to have both, I would love to have a Mac as well as the PC I already own, because almost my entire use of the computer is for graphics. Like I said, I think I do a pretty good job with my graphics, using a PC. Not to mention the fact that all of my software is for a PC. It would be really really expensive to go out and buy ALL new software for the Mac. Programs like Photoshop, and Bryce 3D, as well as Paint Shop Pro, and even Dreamweaver are all pretty expensive. I couldn't afford to get all of that software in Mac, but if I could I'd love to be able to use both, and compare.

I know a man who has a Mac, and he does graphics on it. His graphics aren't better than what I can do on my PC. In fact to be honest they are inferior. I don't know if it's just him, and his graphics abilities, but judging from his work on a Mac, I don't see what is so superior about a Mac when it comes to graphics.
I dont have any idea how to do graphics! I HAD paint shop pro and unloaded it as it was too difficult to understand!

I just do emails and my own documents and Microsoft works to keep tract of my spending (
) and then whenever I get a chance I play the pogo games!

planetofthecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Value of not having your Mac-crazy family bug the hell out of you: priceless

...OR...

Value of having a PC to bug the hell out of your Mac-crazy family: priceless

----------
In certain applications such as graphics, the CPU box is less cost significant than the other components:

Suped-up Mac* or PC**: ~$3300
Primary monitor: Flat Panel Apple Cinema HD 30": $3000
Secondary monitor: Mitsubishi UWG RDF225WG ultrawide color gamut 22" CRT: $5000
GretagMacbeth color calibration: $1500
Epson R1800 Photo Printer: $520
Intuos3 6x8 graphics tablet with USB connector (PC or Mac): $330
Adobe Photoshop CS2 (PC or Mac): $600
1 year of Photoshop classes: $700
1 year of broadband Internet access: $450

Total cost over 1 year: $15,400 (PC/Mac cost is only 22% of this)

----------
*Apple PowerMac G5
- Dual 2.7GHz PowerPC G5
- 2GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x1GB
- 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
- ATI Radeon 9650 w/256MB DDR SDRAM
- 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
- Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
- Mac OS X - U.S. English
$3450.00

**Dell XPS 600 PC
- PentiumÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] 4 Processor 670 with HT Technology (3.80GHz, 800 FSB)
- 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
- 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
- 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX
- 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
- Dell USB Keyboard
- DellÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] 2-button USB mouse
- MicrosoftÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] WindowsÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] XP Professional
- Sound Blaster Audigyâ„¢ 2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, IEEE 1394 capability
$3200.00
----------
So the question isn't whether to go PC or Mac - what you really have to figure out is how to win the next Powerball lottery!!!