Paying off debt

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace course says to pay off the smaller debt first and pay the minimum on the other credit cards. When the one card is done, then apply that money to the next credit card. Its called snowballing.

If you get rid of the smaller one first is does two things (1) gives you a sense of accomplishment and (2) helps you apply that money to the next.

When you try and tackle the bigger one first, it seems like a really hard uphill climb and you'll never get it paid.

lokismum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I understood exactly which one had the highest interest rate, but that's the one you should be paying off first! Then it would take no time at all to pay the other one off!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Credit card companies have strange rules (I did credit for 10 years). For the CC, find out where you payment is applied to. If it's towards the 0% portion of the loan first, then pay off the other loan first. If you are paying towards the interest portion of that CC, then find out which has the higher interest rate and pay that off first. I hope that made sense.