Paws & claws question two.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I was playing with my Jordan's feet last night, I realized that not all cats will let a person play with their feet. So this makes me want to test a long held theory about cats. Are declawed cats feet more sensitive than cats with their claws? So the best way to do this is ask all of you. (again, please don't debate if cats should be declawed, I'm just interested in everyones experience.)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My declaws love having their toes rubbed, with the exception of Magnum but he also burned his paws as a kitten so I don't know if it is a declaw thing or a burnt paw thing with him

Quincy has all his claws and he will bite if you touch his paws

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've known 4 declawed cats fairly well... two are probably lurking around my yard right now or will be if they hear me open a door.
None of them have even liked me looking at their feet. They may not have tried to bite but they weren't happy about me looking - ears back, grumpy cat face.

All of my clawed cats will let me touch and play with their feet. A couple don't like it as much as the others. I even have a semi-feral (more feral than semi) outside that if I want to personally lay hands on him he has to be begged/half way cornered. He'll even let me inspect all of his claws. (note: once I have a hold of him he does like pettings and back scratches).

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i voted for every category. Java will allow me to manipulate her feet - she dislikes clipping, but doesn't really struggle [all claws present]. Cable is the best for clipping [all claws present] but doesn't want me messing much with them otherwise. Firefox HATES clipping [all claws present] - i have to do her in the bathroom & shut the door. she growls at me the entire time & occasionally hisses as well. Chip does NOT like his feet messed with [front declaw] but he's a bit of a biter anyway - also doesn't like me to comb him, get out mats, etc. he's the only one who REALLY NEEDS combing, too. Pixel [front declaw] will let me do anything - very sweet natured girl. she's also the only one who likes tummy scritches.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats let me touch their feet. Some of them love to be rubbed between their toes, they'll spread their toes wiiiide open and purr like crazy.
Declawing is illegal here so they all have their claws.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I voted for two of them. Xander doesn't care what you do to him as long as he's getting attention

Riley hates to be touched anywhere and touching his paws are #2 on his no-no list (after the belly!)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stimpy & Nabu are declawed. Stimpy is ok with you playing with his feet most of the time. Nabu used to be, but since having his regrowth removed (basically redeclawed on that toe) he's not so keen on it, but will still let me. Sometimes it must be sensitive (I assume it's like when the foot I broke last year hurts) and he doesn't want me to.

Lola has all of her claws, but she's not always in the mood to have her feet handled. She does let me clip claws just fine though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I should add that all 5 of mine have their claws & all but Jeresey are good about letting me play with their feet. Only Jordan really likes it, so I voted for both like & dislike. I guess I always thought it was a declawed thing because as a kid our cat was 4 paw declawed & if you even looked at her feet she would throw a fit.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holland will let me rub her paws when she is in sleepy mode. She likes to have her toes and pads massaged, it is so cute! It took a few months to get her used to having her claws clipped, but she even puts up with that now. I can get her front paws done in under a minute!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only declawed cat I ever owned was my first one (declawed due to parents insistance). He was kinda touchy about you handling his front feet (the declawed ones), but he was one of the few that was not really affected mentally by the declawing - a little affected physically.

My clawed cats don't care if you touch their toes or not - I do it often and they are not fussy about clipping nails. Ling complains the entire time, but she doesn't bite or fight with you.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't mind me touching their feet or clipping nails both front and back feet.

Declawing is illegal here so everyone has all their toes.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats don't mind me touching their feet or clipping nails both front and back feet.

Declawing is illegal here so everyone has all their toes.

catmews83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nail cutting hasnt been easy for us. My cats automatic reaction to her paws being touched, is to pull away

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I obviously am against declawing, but I don't htink it affects how they are about their feet assuming it heals properly. I have 1 declawed and 1 non-declawed cat. They both let me play with and touch all their feet, the declawed one lets me trim is back ones no problem and lets me touch his front ones.

The latest cat I've been working with is my brothers, ebony. She was from a shelter and has some restraint issues and all her claws, but after months of just letting her come to me and playing with her feet I can now trim her back claws and touch her back feet with no hassel, she is still touchy about the front feet, but I will go as slow as need be until she trusts enough, she is only 2 so if we get her trusting it will last a lifetime....

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat was front declawed, her previous owner had it done. She never minded her feet being handled, she was never aggressive and had no health or behavior issues related to the declawing. She actually would still sharpen her paws on furniture even though she didn't have any claws-- she made the same movements as a cat sharpening their claws, except with no claws, just grabbing with her paws and pulling.
I used to play with her paws quite a bit because they felt odd with the lack of claws, and she didn't have a problem with it.
All my current cats have their claws and they are ok with their feet being handled. They don't especially like it if you hold their feet to clip nails but they tolerate it.

One other possible reason why declawed cats might not like their feet touched-- if a cat is declawed it may not be acclimated to people touching its feet because its feet might not be touched regularly, since they don't need nail trims. So, they might not be used to having their feet handled.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've got two both with claws... and Isabell will let me mess with her feet and stuff if her mood is good. When it comes to clipping she absolutely hates it and has to be restrained using a towel. EG will not let you hold, touch or do anything with his paws. If you try to clip them he will bite, though not hard just put his teeth on your hands.

I think it has to do with personality and past experiences. I do not trim my cats claws regularly and didn't when they were kittens so they are probably not used it. I trim Isie's claws now because they get so long because she is less active. EG I've been slowly teaching to allow me to touch his paws so that hopefully in a few years I can trim them.