Pawing at a bedroom window

blazewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When this happened yesterday I figured she was just having one of those weird cat kind of moments, and thought little of it.  This morning though for the second morning in a row my cat has been pawing, quite persistently at the window in my bedroom.  Obviously I'm worried that this is likely to turn into an ongoing issue.  because of the layout of the room, I have the been against a wall, and the only place to put the nightstand is in front of the window.  She's been hopping up onto the nightstand and pawing at the window glass.  She has soft-paws on her front feet, but it's still noisy, and it looks like she could fall.  

This morning I was up at some ungodly hour because of the window pawing.  I got the idea to move the nightstand out a couple feet and turn it around, which I did.  She could no longer reach to scratch it again, but she actually jumped toward the window frame and I was woken up again by her obviously trying to climb the curtain.  Because her claws are capped, she fell right to the floor, unable to get any grip on the fabric.  She never tried that again thankfully, but did quickly discover she can reach the, corner of the window and the curtains, by standing on the edge of my bed.  I'm not sure this cat is going to stop this.  I don't know why she's doing this and wonder how to put a stop to it.  Due to the layout of the room, and the placement of the door and closet, moving the bed is not going to work.  The only other place it could go, would be even closer to the window and logically make it even worse.  

She was scratching relentlessly at a mirror recent, and that I was able to solve by covering the mirror with an old thin blanket.  Obviously though I can't do that same thing for the window.  

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to find out what she is seeing out the window to make her want to get it. Could be bugs, birds, other cats, dogs, or like mine see, squirrels, bears, deer, possums, raccoons, armadillos and all other of the creatures that abound by my house.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I was thinking the same as catspaw66--there must be something out there she's trying to see or get at.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blazewind

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the hint about this.  The window faces the parking lot of the apartment complex I live in.  There are trees out there too, and birds, but they haven't come back  from winter yet.  Other than that, we don't really have much wildlife here.  Its too urban of an area.  I'm honestly not sure what she could have seen two mornings in a row to drive her crazy enough to climb the curtains.  There's a bulldog in the house across the road and often out in the yard facing that window.  She must have seen him outside.  

Thinking now that it;s likely a dog that's causing this problem, I'm losing hope that I can get her to quit.  I cant leave her out of the room either, because she tends to meow and paw the doom.  Besides I don't mind her curling up on my bed as long as she isn't going crazy like this.  

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, raccoons, coyotes, armadillos, deer and bears thrive in heavily populated urban settings. Check out Nature on pbs.org