Paw pads and ears turning red

mollyana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I’ve had my cat Molly for about a year. She’s tabby and 9+ years old (we aren’t sure as she was found as a stray).

She spent the last 12 days in a cattery as we were away. We picked her up today and she didn’t want to come with us. The journey home was very stressful and long (over 90 minutes) with us having to walk, take a train and a taxi. Molly was in her carrier the whole time but she was very stressed.

When we got home her ears were a bit warm and red and so were her paw pads (they are normally a very light pink). I had never seen them that colour and temperature before. She’s not limping or licking her paws and has eaten as usual since arriving at home. She’s been very needy too.

This was the first time she was away from home. Is this behaviour normal? Can stress make a cat’s paw pads go red and hot (and the ears too)? I don’t want to take her to the vet just yet because I don’t want to put her through another trip for no good reason as I might just be overreacting thinking she’s unwell. I was wondering if more experienced cat owners have seen something similar with their pets?

Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stress can indeed cause their body heat to rise, which would make their ears and paw pads feel warm to the touch. Keep an eye on her just to make sure it isn't something else that she might have picked up in the cattery. If she returns to her normal behavior soon, then she's probably just fine. I'm guessing the "needy" part is from being away from you for those 12 days. And it may not have been that she didn't want to leave with you, she was possible not sure what was going to happen next. And a 90 minute journey home was NOT something to look forward to ;) (although the end result was a good one, I'm sure)