Paw Injury, Help!

xochitl14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got out Monday and fought with a stray cat. When she ran inside she seemed okay but then the very next day I saw a puss filled pocket on her back right paw. I took her to the vet Wednesday they cleaned it out , gave her convenia and Onsior. By Friday morning she wasn't eating and her paw looked worse than it did on Monday. More puss and she didn't want to walk. So, I took her to another vet and they cleaned out the wound and put a bandage on her foot. She was fine yesterday walking and jumping a little but I was trying to keep her from jumping. But this morning she won't even put weight on that right back paw. Is this normal? The vet said he had to scrape the wound take out all the pus and blood and he removed a layer of dead skin that was trapping in the puss. Could this be the cause? He gave her hydromorphine and i'm guessing the pain reduction of that shot has gone away. What should I do? I already called the vet but he isn't at the office right now and they said they would call once he got there.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you heard from the vet yet? I would imagine that with all he did, her poor paw is very, very sore. About all you can do is try to keep her calm until you have heard from him. If you have a box of chamomile tea bags on hand, brew a cup, chill it, and give her a teaspoon or two of the tea. It will help keep her calm.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing you are correct in that the pain reliever wore off and she's feeling it :sigh: If the wound is bandaged, it's hard to take a peak at it to see how it looks, but can you smell anything? You know, like infection? Sometimes you can smell it.

Hopefully your Vet will get back with you soon with some advise In the meantime, is she still acting normal except for putting weight on that paw? If so, that's a good sign.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xochitl14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:

The vet called back and said that it is totally normal for her not to put weight on it. He said it's because of the bandage. I'll keep a close eye on her but the vet did say she needs to relax, meaning no jumping or running.

xochitl14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm guessing you are correct in that the pain reliever wore off and she's feeling it :sigh: If the wound is bandaged, it's hard to take a peak at it to see how it looks, but can you smell anything? You know, like infection? Sometimes you can smell it.

Hopefully your Vet will get back with you soon with some advise In the meantime, is she still acting normal except for putting weight on that paw? If so, that's a good sign.
I don't smell anything so I don't think it's infected again and she has eaten. So for now I think she is ok. She is acting fairly normal, although she wants more attention than usual (petting). Thank you so much!

xochitl14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you heard from the vet yet? I would imagine that with all he did, her poor paw is very, very sore. About all you can do is try to keep her calm until you have heard from him. If you have a box of chamomile tea bags on hand, brew a cup, chill it, and give her a teaspoon or two of the tea. It will help keep her calm.
Thank you for the tip! I will keep her in my room for the time being. I heard back from the vet, he said it's normal so I'm less worried than I was before. Thank you so much for your caring advice.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is what we are here for! LOL, we are the Village that raises each other's cats!