Paused Labor

ChristinaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat gave birth to 2 kittens today, we are still feeling movement in her belly and she still look very round. How long could this pause last? She is very content purring and nursing kitten... the second kitten was born dead.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are they well done furry etc? The dead one too?

Was the delivery of the dead one long or difficult?

If not. Pauses arent unusual. As long momma is ok no visible troubles its usually advisable to wait it out.
Double so if kittens were somewhat premature.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch her closely, as long as she is not in distress, is nursing and purring, everything should be alright. Her body may have tried to rid itself of the dead kitten and another got caught up in it. I pray everything will turn out, please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChristinaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are they well done furry etc? The dead one too?

Was the delivery of the dead one long or difficult?

If not. Pauses arent unusual. As long momma is ok no visible troubles its usually advisable to wait it out.
Double so if kittens were somewhat premature.
The first one that was born is doing good, and yes furry. The second was also had furr he/she was white the delivery wasnt difficult or long. The first kitten is pretty small tho. Should i be concerned?

ChristinaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Watch her closely, as long as she is not in distress, is nursing and purring, everything should be alright. Her body may have tried to rid itself of the dead kitten and another got caught up in it. I pray everything will turn out, please keep us posted!
She is doing well and nursing her kitten. She is purring eating and drinking well. How long could this pause be, or could she be done?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be done but there may be one more coming out when its time is due.

Difficult to give any timetables essentially you just watch out if momma is ok no problems.

If the alive kitten is smallish it doesnt need to be a problem with a healthy kitten whom suckles hood and ates well. But the margins are thin.
Quite a few are weak sucklers in the beginning. If so handfeeding makes it easier for them the critical period.
Easiest way to know is to weigh every 12 hours later every 24 hours. If she adds and grows everything is ok - if she doesnt add minimum 6gramnes a day you supplement feed...

ChristinaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may be done but there may be one more coming out when its time is due.

Difficult to give any timetables essentially you just watch out if momma is ok no problems.

If the alive kitten is smallish it doesnt need to be a problem with a healthy kitten whom suckles hood and ates well. But the margins are thin.
Quite a few are weak sucklers in the beginning. If so handfeeding makes it easier for them the critical period.
Easiest way to know is to weigh every 12 hours later every 24 hours. If she adds and grows everything is ok - if she doesnt add minimum 6gramnes a day you supplement feed...
I weighed kitten today, she was 60 grams. Is that a good weight? It is on the smaller side. The one that was born dead was bigger.

ChristinaV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I weighed kitten today, she was 60 grams. Is that a good weight? It is on the smaller side. The one that was born dead was bigger.
I meant 70 grams. Kitty weighed 70 grams.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
70 is usually ok but it is as you say on the smallish side.

Good you do have a starting point. Weigh her now every 12 hours till you are sure she adds properly.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Watch mama for any discharge that seems abnormal. If she has kittens that are held up inside, she will act as if in discomfort and have a smelly discharge. Get her to a vet ASAP id you see that. But if she is acting fine and caring for the kitten, she should be fine.