Patio blinds

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live on the ground floor in my apartment complex which is awesome for my disability, but horrible when it comes to privacy. Keeping the patio blinds closed was easy for me when I was alone because of the schedule I keep. But as soon as Kimbo came on the scene she began diving into the blinds like Scrooge McDuck dove into his sea of money. I finally solved the problem for about 5 dollars if you don't already have these items in your house.

I started by taking a clear carpet runner flipped upside down so that the prickly side is up. I put that right up under the blinds for about a week now and Kimbo walks right up to the edge of it but does not touch the blinds. She will have no part of it. After the realization that it actually worked, I moved on to phase 2.

Now came the task of allowing Kimbo to see out without the rest of the world looking in. My first inclination was to put privacy film over the patio doors. The problem with that was while it kept people from looking in it also prevented me, and more importantly Bobo from looking out. I can't deprive her of cat tv. I just couldn't. So I had to figure out a way to not hang curtains because I'm renting and that's just more work for me to do when I move out. But more importantly kittens and curtains just don't seem to mix. So I opened the patio blinds and noticed that there was a lip, not only that but I pushed the patio blinds to one side and was able to put a tension rod right on the inside of the blinds themselves! I took a clear frosted shower curtain that I got from the dollar store and some shower curtain hooks I had lying around and attached the shower curtain to the lip of the sliding glass doors. It fit perfectly. I went outside to see if you could see in and you can't see a thing! And I also solved the problem of seeing out in case something is happening I need to be aware of. It's as simple as sliding the shower curtain back. I will be using the shower curtain/tention rod method on all my windows. It doesn't look horrible or tacky from the outside and I don't have to put a bunch of holes in the walls or run the risk of danger by not being able to see out.

For now, it's cold out. Not much going on and because she's a kitten all she wants to do is play anyway. But come spring I will put the shower curtain on the tention rod of the sliding glass door to elevate the curtain about a foot high from the floor and remove the plastic runner from the floor so she can bask in the sun during the day but replace the runner at night that way she knows under no circumstances is she to play in the blinds. Once she's a big girl I will remove the carpet runner all together. This idea worked so well that I thought I would share it with you all. Hopefully it will be helpful to someone somewhere.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that's a great idea!  I remember my friend's apartment had deep windowsills and her cat tore up the mini blinds big time.  I wish we'd thought of this for her!