Patiently Waiting For Kittens

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Almost 3 weeks ago I took in a pregnant cat. She had appeared at a lady's house 6 weeks prior. The lady gained her trust and noticed she was pregnant. She was unable to care for mama cat, so I offered to take her in. She is the friendliest and sweetest girl! My mom took her to the vet for me 2 weeks ago from yesterday. The vet estimated she would have her kittens within 2 weeks. Well 2 weeks has passed and here we are with no kittens! The only possible signs I've noticed is she has had diarrhea once a day a couple of times this week. The vet said on Thursday that could surely mean her kittens are on their way any day now. She has not had any today. However I've noticed she keeps laying in a certain spot and is not as adamant to get up when we go visit her. She will get up at her own pace if she feels like it. She is secluded from my other pets right now as per the vet so my cat and dog do not stress her out. I have a baby monitor on her in the room in case she starts meowing and I can't hear her (we have a hard time hearing anything going on upstairs while downstairs). She is still eating steadily. Her appetite last week was a lot more than this week, but I don't feel as if she's slowing down enough to tell me they are coming soon. The only hints I've had are the diarrhea from possible mild contractions and the kittens shifting and also her laying in the same spot more. Anyone else with similar experiences? I'm patiently waiting! Any input is welcome!

Also I would like to add mama will be spayed after her kittens when vet says she is ready. Her kittens will be spayed and neutered as well. I'm happy to say I have a few good homes already lined up depending how many she has!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with a pregnant cat. However, unless she's been pushing for a long time without anything coming out, I would just wait.
Hopefully, someone with experience will be on shortly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still patiently waiting. Mama seems to have quite the appetite between last night and this morning. She's either eating, laying in the window or laying in the area we have set up for her in hopes she will have her kittens there. No more diarrhea since Thursday I believe. She continues to get bigger by the day. Hopefully not too much longer! 3 weeks ago today is when I took her in. I was guessing then she was around 6 weeks pregnant which would make her around 9 weeks today. Just a guess though based on how small she was at the time but clearly had a bulge in her belly letting me know there are definitely kittens in there. I also started feeling kitten movement 2 weeks ago this past thursday and from what I read you can feel them around 7 weeks. I'll keep you updated!

Last edited:

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20953885_1822675984410063_523909249470122368_n.jpg
Here is mama cat a week ago! She has grown quite a bit in size since this picture. She came to up pretty skinny.

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't wait!! I have experienced pregnancy and birth with a dog, mice and myself twice. Never with a cat! I'm anxious to see what colors her kittens will be since I have no idea what cat she mated with!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's very exciting to see the colors and markings on the kittens! :)

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Mama is producing milk now!! Kittens should be here any time in the next 2 days from what I've read based on this!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Milk can come in up to a week early. My cat leaked milk for several days before she had her kittens. It could be 2 days though! :)

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She just had her first kitten!

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_8796.JPG
First kitten. First kitten has successfully fed from mama already. She delivered her placenta so waiting to see if there is more.

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Second kitten is here! I can feel more moving around in her belly! I'll post more pics once they are all here!

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have 4, but I'm pretty sure I felt another inside!

thisbemeh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, she hasn't had any more. It was weird because after having the fourth one both my mom and I felt what felt like a bony leg/foot or head. We would feel it then we wouldn't. This happened a couple of times. My mom read that it could be her bladder or uterus. Maybe that's what it was. Her appetite came back full force last night and she is all about me loving on her. She was funny last night. Her kittens were all nursing and I rubbed my hand down her back and she rolled right onto her back so I could rub her belly. I will keep you updated if she surprises us with another! If not I'm guessing what we felt was her uterus or bladder.