Part maine coon? What kind of cats are these?

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thsee two cats are brother and sister from the same litter. The 1st 2 pics are the boy and the 2nd 2 are the girl. They both have long hair on their tails. Around their necks and body the hair is thicker than it is in normal cats but i wouldnt say its long. The mom is a normal black and white cat. The dad is a black smoke and white. We know they are the parents for %100 fact. Also we know the grandfather was an unusually gorgeous short hair grey cat (the father of the black smoke and white daddy). Could it be that my cats grandfather although was a short hair grey cat maybe he had genetics for a type of grey breed that showed up in my cats/his grandchildren?

I find it unusual that they both came out looking like this. I understand that even cats of no particular Breed can randomly have kittens that come out unique but the fact that 2 cats from the same litter came out with this type of coat tells me there has to be some type of breed coming from the grandfather.

What do u think?

A friend said it looks like they have traits of Maine coon. Do any of u think so? Thanks. P.s. they are about 1 year old. Will they continue to grow?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Thsee two cats are brother and sister from the same litter. The 1st 2 pics are the boy and the 2nd 2 are the girl. They both have long hair on their tails. Around their necks and body the hair is thicker than it is in normal cats but i wouldnt say its long. The mom is a normal black and white cat. The dad is a black smoke and white. We know they are the parents for %100 fact. Also we know the grandfather was an unusually gorgeous short hair grey cat (the father of the black smoke and white daddy). Could it be that my cats grandfather although was a short hair grey cat maybe he had genetics for a type of grey breed that showed up in my cats/his grandchildren?

I find it unusual that they both came out looking like this. I understand that even cats of no particular Breed can randomly have kittens that come out unique but the fact that 2 cats from the same litter came out with this type of coat tells me there has to be some type of breed coming from the grandfather.

What do u think?

A friend said it looks like they have traits of Maine coon. Do any of u think so? Thanks.  P.s. they are about 1 year old. Will they continue to grow?
 Are they often outside?  It so, it could easily explain their thick manes - being a winter fur. Grey is diluted black, so its the black gene + a dilutation gene.  I agree much of these genes here comes from the grandfather.  Recessive genes very often jump over one generation this way.

What baffles me, white spot gene is dominant, so they "should" have white spots too. Especielly as both daddy and mommy carried this.   Even if there IS a theoretical possibily these white spot gene missed them.  About a 25 procent chance each.

Were there other kittens in that litter?  White spotted?

The girl is a nice look alike of a Nebelung.  Ie sort of a longhair Russian blue.   I would happily accept her as a Novice.   :)

The boy is a little more anonymous grey semilonghair cat...

but in reality, as nebelungs are rare, but the Maine coon are common, at least in the north america, they probably do have some genes from Maine coon, or their natural cousing making the base of that breed, the base from which maine coons got purebred from.

Last, in cat fancy, its common to say blue instead of grey.   So, they are blue cats, whatever their breed or not breed.  Thay will count as domestics, longh hair or possibly medium hair.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank u for your insight it is much appreciated! To answer ur questions, no they are not outside they are indoor cats. About the white spot gene, I am very suprised about that as well. In the litter there were three other black and white kittens that looked like the mother. I looked up about the nebulung cats and u have a point there! The female resembles them greatly. Maybe, between the nebulung and maine coons, when u think about it, those breeds had to begin with cats with certain traits. So maybe even tho mine are not pure breed, maybe the grandfather carried the genes which contributed to maine coon and nebulung breeds? What do u think? Thanks again. Still baffled myself that they don't have white spots as well!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, what looks!  I would give much to be able to recruit him as a novice to the russian blue breed!  Or at very least, to consider doing it, looking him thoroujglhy up...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kcpo24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he was a very gorgeous cat but unfortunately died a couple years ago from a urinary blockage gone wrong. I'm shocked that he did not seem to have any owner and I wonder if he was born feral or if he was a stray. By the way, when u say recruit to be a novice for Russian blue what does that mean exactly lol? Not too familiar with these terms. Thank u

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 when u say recruit to be a novice for Russian blue what does that mean exactly lol? Not too familiar with these terms. Thank u
There is a routine in Fife (the big european cat fancy association), for admitting new cats into a breed.  Its seldom done nowadays, and in just a very few breeds. But it works nicely as a pedagogical example, how hard its to get a nice look alike moggie, or a cat without known parentage, to be acknowledged as purebred.

OK, we pretend we take your granddad.   We are sure he is worth to be called for a russian blue for real. To be registered as a Novice.

So we let two Fife judges examine him, and they shall declare he is a good Novice, and will be a good addition to the russian blue breed.  You can invite these judges home, or let them do it on a Show - but they must clearly know its an Novice examiation.   also, I suppose its not for free, they must have their expenses covered if nothing else.

Ok, so he gets a provisorical  Certificate and is politely called for a russian blue. He may participate in shows, he may be used in breeding - but

his children dont get automatical the regular certificate - they must participate in a show, and get at least the grade Excellent.  If so, they get too the provisorical  certifcate.

And so on, in four generations.

First the fifth generation gets the regular certificate.

Of course, the trick is, its only the best kittens whom are send to these Shows for examination.  The less typical kittens are sold as pets. They may have this provisorial certificate, but they arent allowed to breed, and are neutered early.

So, its a long way to be a recognied purebred...  Or if you want, its a way to puryfie the stock.   After all, its no big secret, the first russian blues WERE moggies...  From whom the breed was build up.

That is why there are quite a few nicely looking looks alikes around - they DO happen naturally, although its not very common.