Parents won't believe me that they shouldn't rub their belly :(

crazycatladi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think belly rubs depend on the cat. I have two that will lay in my arms on their back and they expect a belly rub. My big male will only do that with me. He was feral and trapped as a kitten and he has become my baby. It took about a month before I could pet him and now he won't leave me alone. 

And that kitty highway is pretty amazing!

fyllis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a few people mentioned, belly-rubs are not a bad thing. It's a preferred thing. Some cats love it and some can't stand it.

My two boys are complete opposites. Kricket, my Maine Coon lives for belly tickles, scratches, and rubs (and full body massages). If I reach out just to pet him in passing, he will flop on his back, spread his legs, poof out his belly and beg for it! However, when he has had enough he will let me know either by nipping me or rolling over and walking away. I never force it on him, but when he asks for it he gets it.

On the other hand, my black domestic, Keeker, hates to be held or touched in any way most of the time. It is a rare day when he allows me to hold or pet him longer than 20 seconds without protest.

He started flipping belly-up about 3 months ago, which surprised me because it just wasn't in his character to 'give of himself'. The couple times I attempted to touch his belly I was immediately informed "This belly is for display purposes only! Please, admire from a distance"!  

Occasionally, he will flip over when laying on the back of the couch while I am watching TV. He will permit me to lightly lay my hand on his belly for 30 seconds, but the second I even flinch a finger, the claws come out. It's SO hard to keep my hand still, but I respect him.

Just like humans... I could sit for hours on end and have someone brush my hair, but my sister can't stand her head being touched. She says it gives her the willies. 

It's all about respect. Respect the cat, but ALSO respect the cats owner. No means NO!

View media item 294611
View media item 294612
Do either your Mom or Dad have a 'thing' they don't like? Next time they give your kitty a belly-rub, give them a taste of what they don't like. Tit-for-tat!