Parents' cat is emaciated (Vent)

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents' cat, Kirby, has lost a lot of weight in the last year and has basically become emaciated. I'm scared to take him to the vet because I don't want to find out something wrong (although I already know there is). I hadn't seen my parents in 2.5 months until last week and it's clear that Kirby isn't gaining weight like I thought he was in June. I'm planning on kidnapping him to take him to the vet because my parents won't, even after my siblings and I have insisted that he needs to be seen. I'm tempted to take him without telling them just to see if they even notice and in the event they do notice, I'm feeling spiteful. I don't know how I'm going to afford all of this to be honest. I only just adopted Flora and was definitely not looking to have 4 cats, but it seems like the only option. Kirby knows me and I'm definitely his favorite person (although he loves everyone), but I don't want to separate him from my parents' other cat, Fiona (who is 17 and even given her age doesn't seem to have any apparent health issues other than being deaf). I also don't want to leave her behind but 5 cats is too many. I just don't know what to do. :frown:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take it step by step. The weight loss could be over something easily treatable. If he's old maybe your parents didn't do calorie adjust and are not feeding him enough and/or maybe he has worms.

And I don't know if it's at all similar where you live but, where I live if someone has multiple pets, vets are more likely to make discount because even with the discount they earn more money than say someone with one pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take it step by step. The weight loss could be over something easily treatable. If he's old maybe your parents didn't do calorie adjust and are not feeding him enough and/or maybe he has worms.

And I don't know if it's at all similar where you live but, where I live if someone has multiple pets, vets are more likely to make discount because even with the discount they earn more money than say someone with one pet.
I'm hoping it's not fatal. I personally think it's his teeth because he stopped eating dry food suddenly last year and I suggested that he might have a tooth issue and to give him wet food. He ate that willingly but still lost weight which I also think is because he's not getting enough. Either way, he's better off with me because I treat my cats like royalty as they deserve.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Have you shared a body condition chart with your parents so they could actually see that Kirby is underweight? I've included one below, that you could use if you haven't done so already. It might convince them that he needs to be checked out by a vet. There are so many treatable things that could easily resolve Kirby's problem, and if you could manage to get that to happen, Kirby could stay with your parents and his buddy, Fiona. You could just monitor the situation to see how Kirby is doing.

Is there a chance that your siblings would share the expense with you if you can't get your parents to help out?

Attachments

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents' cat, Kirby, has lost a lot of weight in the last year and has basically become emaciated. I'm scared to take him to the vet because I don't want to find out something wrong (although I already know there is). I hadn't seen my parents in 2.5 months until last week and it's clear that Kirby isn't gaining weight like I thought he was in June. I'm planning on kidnapping him to take him to the vet because my parents won't, even after my siblings and I have insisted that he needs to be seen. I'm tempted to take him without telling them just to see if they even notice and in the event they do notice, I'm feeling spiteful. I don't know how I'm going to afford all of this to be honest. I only just adopted Flora and was definitely not looking to have 4 cats, but it seems like the only option. Kirby knows me and I'm definitely his favorite person (although he loves everyone), but I don't want to separate him from my parents' other cat, Fiona (who is 17 and even given her age doesn't seem to have any apparent health issues other than being deaf). I also don't want to leave her behind but 5 cats is too many. I just don't know what to do. :frown:
I have a similar story with my mom's dog. She refused to put her to sleep even though she was skin and bones. So weak that she'd just go to the bathroom where she laid and my mom would have to bathe her all the time. I thought about going to her house and taking the dog to the vet while she was at work many times. Luckily, my mom has since realized that putting an animal to sleep isn't inhumane. It's the most humane thing an owner can do.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second the idea of seeing if your siblings will split the cost with you, especially if they are all concerned it would be fair to ask something like "Im really worried about moms cat and Im going to take him to the vet, would you be able to pitch in?"

I do worry about taking him from his home though. If hes older and that's where he's used to being, and being with his kitty friend Fiona, even if he loves you as I'm sure he does it will probably be quite stressful for him anyway. You could just check in on him as you've been doing and step in when needed.

Hope its nothing to serious and he starts getting better after the vet visit.