Parents alone for Christmas

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jenny, I absolutely agree with you being angry. You SIL is a very selfish, mean-spirited person. Even if she didn't want to participate, it is very very selfish to restrict your brother form participating. I agree with the post that suggested your brother and the children visit your parents while she is preparing the meal.

Nobody should be alone at Christmas and especially elderly parents who have probably given everything to everyone for many years.

Shame on your brother for not standing up to his selfish wife too.

I hope your Christmas is not spoiled by all this and that dear, sweet Persil is feeling better.

Hugs and love to you from our family.

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow what I would give to have my Nan and my MIL back for Christmas I miss them so much
your brothers and sisters are very selfish
I feel for you
I hope your mum and dad are ok
I love the limo idea you had
I think they would love it
it would sertanly make them feel special
I really can't belive the rest of your family could be so unthoughtfull and crewl
I would be hopping mad if I was you
you only get one shot at doing the right thing if you blow it you may find you have to live with it for the rest of your life I hope that dose not happen to your sibblings
I hope it all works out for you and your parents
here are some hugs and good vibes comming your way

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have ordered the limo for boxing day - my mother was cross but it turns out they might not have gone to my brother's at all as she is afraid of going on hte bus in freezing weather. I spoke to my brother and he says he did offer to pick her up but she wouldn't hear of him driving to get them. He just didn't insist hard enough, I guess. This also means my parents will see their first great grandchild for the first time, which they were longing to do. Anyway now everyone is happy, except my other SIL who will be left alone to have Christmas her way. I am sorry for my younger brother though.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenny that's really sad.
I'd be heartbroken too if that were me - I'm so glad that you can make the time to see them in the new year - they'll really appreciate that. Any grandparent would want to see their grandchildren at christmas and I think your sister-in-law has been really selfish over it. Christmas is the time for giving, is it not? My mother has prepared Christmas dinner for a family of at the very least 9 people every year, up until the last two when her marriage fell apart - and I think my making her dinner is the very least I can do for her this time around. She'll be staying with me - ok she's only 42, but the principle is the same. She wants to come and see her grandson, and who am I to say no? I love my mother, and I think your brother should learn to be a bit stronger towards his wife - otherwise she'll be walking all over him for the rest of his life and he'll finish up a very miserable man. It's strange how little things can escalate. I sincerely hope that your parents will have a lovely Christmas in the end though sweetie.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Jenny if you knew the arguments i had with my youngest brother who never so much as lifted a finger to ring my parents!.

People have short memories of what parents have done for us in the past. Of course they say no when someone says they'll pick them up, but deep down they don't mean it!, if they'd been asked again they would have said ok then!.

And i agree with Emma on that your brother needs to stand up to his wife because that was the same as my brother and his wife, she ruled the roost!.

But, let them get on with it, but one day they will be elderly themselves!.