parenting styles

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Loubelia

When my baby starts learning to talk and walk, then this above will be my husband and my way of handling our daughter and future children thereafter.
I hope it works as well for you as it did for us. Our daughter is 25 now and we couldn't ask for a better companion. The three of us (she, her dad and I) have a wonderful relationship and enjoy being together.

She makes us proud and our relatives tell us what a wonderful, thoughtful and caring person she is.

She was always strong-willed (a leader not a follower), not always easy, and frustrating at times, but she did listen to us when we discussed things rather than just demand and forbid.

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As long as I produce good education results, my parents really had no rules. Grounding? I associate that with electrical wires rather than anything my parents did. Nor were there rules on how late to stay out.

Now that I think about it, I cannot really think about them actually setting a single rule. Except perhaps not to ask for anything more than the fixed allowance which I started getting the moment I started school.

There were two train of advice. One relating to education-results together with the importance of getting into a good school and obtaining a good graduate degree that makes money. The other on saving money, open a bank account when I was 5 or 6 with $50, still remember saving up all the allowance and thought $50 was huge. Other than that nothing much actually.

So... not too sure about the style.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

None of the above.

Interactive would be a better description of our style with our daughter - some things are negotiable and some not.
Thats how my parents were with me too!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents were totally uninvolved with us. We got by with murder, had NO rules, and well dad didn't speak to me or my sister until we were past age 21. Mom? She was just a stay-home mom who got drunk & watched soap operas all day long. I dunno what else she really did, but parenting? NOT.

As a mother myself, I am definitely interactive. I am NOT uninvolved. I have rules --- my daughter has to stick to them --- she calls me "bossy" and says at grandma's house (my mom, and also her *other* grandma who rides a broom and skywrites mean things about me), she gets to do everything with NO RULES.

So I set them in stone in MY house. My daughter and I are VERY close. No one will come between us! We sorta hover over each other... she likes to get ready in the bathroom in the morning with me, she listens to everything I say. She's a real good girl, cuz I've been so close to her.

I think that me being raised by "not-there", uninvolved parents who had zero interest in me & my sister, has made me a Supermom. My daughter sorta gets by with stuff, and yeah I give in ON OCCASION... but there are SET RULES in the house and she knows better, so she follows them!

My sis on the other hand is a tyrant who hates her kids. She swung in the other direction.

In the fatherly dept: my dad was a "see ya on the weekend" dad who like I said didn't speak to us til we were adults. He still is uninterested to a point; he likes to meddle and puts his 2 cents in. My DAUGHTER'S father, my exhubby, he's uninterested, uninvolved, and more in love with Vicodin than his daughter. However I'm very thankful to say I have in my life a man who is filling in the "father" portion that's been missing in her life for a while now. My boyfriend puts her on a pedestal and tells her he loves her, helps her with school stuff, etc.! So she has a nice, well rounded life now.