paranoid puddytat needs something to help him chill out

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Mums cat has always been what I would call a nervous wreck, if he was a human I would say a paranoid schitzophrenic.

He's 10 years old now and any kind of change - furniture/visitors/food/ other cats, you name it, gets him all upset.

She would like to know if there is any kind of chill pill she can give him as he's starting to drive her nuts, slinking at the drop of a pin.

Something along the lines of Prozac for cats

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet, but this may just be his typical behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ginger's mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It IS his typical behaviour, it's just gotten worse with age.

I've heard that some homepathy remedies work for cats, any opinions out there?

PS

He has never been abused or mistreated in any way by the humans of the household, as for my brother's bully of a cat, sooner he goes the better. Mums quite annoyed he wasn't taken when he moved out.

luvcatzzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there IS a kitty prozac, just ask your vet about it. also, petsmart has this catcalm in a bottle you put into their water. i've heard that feliway spray is also excellent to calm a kitty as well.

good luck!

murelino

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A nervour wreck, that sounds really funny. I can imagine...
I just think that cats the same like people have different characters. And of course it would be easier to give him some medicine. But is it worth to put a pussy on pills just because of his character???

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've noticed the paranoia seems to be getting worse, I'd suggest a vet checkup - have the vet do a 'geriatric profile' that includes testing his thyroid levels. Hyperthyroid is very common in older cats, and can definitely make a cat more fearful and agitated.

Another hyperthyroid article - this one lists 'nervousness' as a symptom. My always-a-bit-timid cat Macumba became much more fearful when she became hyperthyroid, and went back to her normal personality with treatment.

If his thyroid levels are normal, perhaps you could try a Feliway diffuser?