Panting?

Starla.schaffer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As I have been noticing every time I play with my kitty she starts panting very easily. Is this normal I haven’t seen my past cats do this. Could it be because her old owners had a dog? Or maybe asthma. I’m not to sure does anyone else’s cats do this and does anyone know y

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It can be normal, or it can also be a sign of something. It's best to make an appointment with your vet.
For our one cat is was a sign of a congenital heart murmur. He grew out of it, but basically it's because he was malnourished (born outside) and then grew too quickly on some good food.
Our other cat does this sometimes and it's nothing. However, he only does this when he's playing with humans and not other cats. It also looks different than our other cat's panting.

That's the problem with cat. It's either nothing or very serious and the symptoms are the same. Your kitten will probably need heart bloodwork to be sure.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd have it checked, myself, if only to make sure. If there is anything going on, the sooner it's seen to, the better!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to agree. My vet was able to give suppliments to support outgrowing his condition.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat would do this when she was young. I would stop playing with her when she started panting. Cats don't cool themselves by panting the way dogs do. My cat was diagnosed with Asthma, among other things.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exercise can make any animal or even Human pant as the heart works hard to keep blood flowing through the body. Even atheletes will pant after a game or race or whatever. It's a normal body response to try to get the heart to slow back down to normal. If you see your cat do this while playing, give the cat a few minutes to rest before resuming play again but with something that requires less jumping / running / etc. Like chase a toy across the floor instead of doing acrobatics to catch a flying wand toy.