Panting cats

kittygranny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two cats are fourteen months old and we just got them a new toy. A feather on the end of a retractable handle. They leap and chase and go crazy for it. After a few minutes the one cat begins to pant like a dog. Should we be concerned or not play with that toy

rasalghul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does the same thing...  he'll pant and rest for a little while then he's back at it again.  I've read that it's normal, just cooling themselves off is all.  I wouldn't worry about it but it might be a good idea to take him to the vet just in case.  I have my kitty's chekup coming up in a couple of weeks. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygranny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. She stops right away and wants to lay around. They have their annual check up later this month and I will mention it to him it hasn't been that long since play time and panting and she's gone exploring in the bathroom where the grandsons are bathing. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Cats get out of breath with vigorous exercise just like people do. It's nothing to worry about.
Nothing to worry about at all. Some kittens get super wound up from playing and will need a minute to pant and rest before they start playing again. If you're really really worried, you can take a vidoe of the panting after playing and show it to the vet. I did that and my vet said it wasn't anything worrisome.