Panther makes tiny wind blowing noise.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Panther is making this tiny wind blowing noise yesterday and today. I believe it is from a stuffed nose. It only happens when he is breathing hard, like while playing.

He does not have any discharge from his nose.

Should I bring him for a weekend ER? (why does it always happen on weekends?)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pay more attention when he's doing it. If it's wheezing from his lungs, then yes you need to get him to the vet soon. If it's just "whistle nose" (that whistle-y stuffy nose sound) then take a close look at his nose. There could be some inflammation making it harder to breathe. But otherwise if it's just a virus or response to dry winter air there isn't anything a vet can do, and certainly not an emergency unless there's more serious symptoms.

Keep an eye on him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Pay more attention when he's doing it. If it's wheezing from his lungs, then yes you need to get him to the vet soon. If it's just "whistle nose" (that whistle-y stuffy nose sound) then take a close look at his nose. There could be some inflammation making it harder to breathe. But otherwise if it's just a virus or response to dry winter air there isn't anything a vet can do, and certainly not an emergency unless there's more serious symptoms.

Keep an eye on him.
It's from the nose. He has been really active and eating normal too. Thank you for your advice, I will keep an eye on him.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was he ever sick when he was younger? Cat viruses can flare back up and cause symptoms. If you see any sort of discharge by Monday, give your vet a call. If you notice major behavior or eating changes sooner, get to a vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would watch for any changes in behavior, eating, playing, or pottying and continue monitoring him. If you notice any changes, then a trip to the vet is warranted. You might try steaming him in the bathroom to help if he's got a stuffy nose. Just get the bathroom nice and steamy, then turn off the shower. Close him in the bathroom with you and sit with him until the steam dissipates. Or, if you shower, just close him in the bathroom with you while you take your shower.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Panther did not make any noise since yesterday afternoon. He does blow his nose and made some loud noise once last night.

He has been eating, drinking, pooping, playing. Everything is normal.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree keep an eye... Though I likely would make a call to the vet monday and see if they know of any cat colds going around..

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I agree keep an eye... Though I likely would make a call to the vet monday and see if they know of any cat colds going around..
Thank you for all your advices. It has been going on for 3 days. He does nothing unusual, still active like a nanji. Once a day, he will make this blow/swallowing sound. He does not have a running nose. He sneezes 3-5 times a day. And all the noises are from his nose, not from his lungs. Maybe I should start picking booger.

I think I should call the vet today and see what he advises.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then it probably is a minor virus. Panther sounds like he's in good shape - so the vet may very well want you to bring him in to just see what is going on and get a "baseline" (temp, vitals) of how he is now and tell you to bring him back if he gets worse.

koobe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Then it probably is a minor virus. Panther sounds like he's in good shape - so the vet may very well want you to bring him in to just see what is going on and get a "baseline" (temp, vitals) of how he is now and tell you to bring him back if he gets worse.
Well, it is not even that. If you remember, I have a vet that is always fully booked, and told me cats are like kids, we just have to wait to see if they clear themselves if it is not that serious.

So I called the vet's office, the receptionist said Panther should be good, I just need to look after him for a few days and bring him in if he get worse. But there is not openings this week anyway. The earliest opening is next week. If I make an appt now, I have a 24 hours cancellation policy.

I did not make an appt, if anything gets worse, I will bring Panther to the animal hospital with night and weekend services.