Panicking After Adopting A Cat. Need Advice

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey fellow cat lovers! I need your advice/help/support. First of all I would like to say that English is not my native language so I apologize in advance for any mistakes. I need some help with my newly adopted cat. Here is some background information. I lost my 10 year old kitty in June to chronic kidney desease and I was devastated. I still cry from to time to time when something reminds me of him. I have another 9 year old cat. His name is Phillio. He has always had problems with agression, when my other cat was alive they would fight all the time but Phillip was always the one who would start the fight. During that time Phillip was not neutered because, well, I live in this part of the world where we are a little behind on many things. I had him neutered 3 weeks ago though.

So a couple of months ago a cute stray cat started to show up at my work place. I began to feed him and eventually grew attached to him. I finally decided to adopt him a month ago because it's almost winter and winters are brutal here. I had him checked by a vet and all that. They said he is approx. 10 years old. He is now living in my bedroom. My resident cat has a living room and the rest of the apartment. So for 3 weeks I've been following all the recomendations on how to introduce a new cat to your household. But even after that my resident cat is pissed. I haven't let them interact without one being in a crate yet. But I just see that my resident cat is veeery angry about this whole situation and I'm afraid he'll start the fight as soon I let my adopted cat out of the crate. I know I made a rushed and possibly decision when I brought another cat but now I can't really undo this. We don't have any good animal shelters here and rehoming an adult cat is usually next to impossible so I'm kind of stuck now. I feel like I made a mistake but at the same time I can't imagine my newly adopted cat dieing of cold and hunger in the steet. I would like to hear your opinion on this situatuion. Do you think it's possible that Phillip will calm down after maybe a month? It's been 3 weeks since he got neutered. My adopted cat also got neutered 4 weeks ago but he doesn't seem agressive and I saw him interacting well with other strays. I'm at a loss here guys.. I'm panicking and don't know what to do.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to the forum. Your english is actually very good!

It's nice that you were able to get Philip neutered! Hopefully this will help with his aggression.

It's very normal for a cat to be upset when you bring a new cat into his territory. First of all, theres no need to panic. It sounds like you are taking things slowly and that's what you should continue to do. Have you been scent swapping (switching their blankets/bedding so they mix their smells) and letting them have access to each other's rooms? Do they interact at all on either sides of the crate?

You are probably okay to introduce them to each other soon. If Philip fought with your old cat, it's likely he will fight with this new one too, but that is normal because they will need to establish a hierarchy with each other. Watch them closely when they first meet and separate if the fight seems too aggressive (excessive yowling/blood being drawn). But otherwise, expect a few tussles while they sort things out between them.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. Thank you for taking in this stray and keeping him. A lot has changed in Phillip's life of late. He lost his friend ( even though they fought) he's been neutered and on top of that there's this stranger in his house. No wonder he's not happy. It will take a little time for him to get used to the new smells of the new cat but don't worry, it will happen. Even if they don't become best friends, they will learn to live together. You are doing the right thing in taking it slowly so try not to worry. Keep us updated on the progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your replies guys! Finally someone other than me thinking it all can work out. I'm under a constant pressure from my colleagues who are asking every day if the cats are friends yet. Their advice is just to put the two of them together and everything will be fine miraculously. If only..

My sister who I'm sharing an apartment with thinks that I made a huge mistake and doesn't think they will ever learn to live together. So all of this on top of my resident cat having aggression issues makes me feel trapped.

I've been reading this forum a lot and finally decided to reach out to get some advice.

I've already done scent swapping and right now we're at the stage where the two cats sniff each other through a crate. I always put a newcomer in the crate and never put my resident cat there instead. Do you think I should switch them? I'm afraid my resident cat will freak out because he's never been in a crate before, I bought it just now to help with the introduction process. I usually put the newcomer in a crate with some wet food (he loves it) and let my resident cat into a room. I then give some treats to my resident cat as well and try to do it closer to the crate. After they are done eating my resident cat comes up to the crate and starts sniffing very loudly, sometimes he makes some noises to show that he is not happy. Yesterday he started to sniff newcomer's tail very intensely (the tail was sticking out of the crate while the kitty was busy eating his wet food). It looked like he wanted to bite on the tail but I quickly distracted him.

I also tried to let them sniff each other through a crack in a door frame but my resident cat becomes too nervous because he can't see well through a crack and starts to sort of punch the other cat with his paw and tries to open the door more. So I'm now sticking with a crate. Although I feel bad for a newcomer cat because he's always the one in a crate.

I'm not sure when I should move on to the next step. I'm afraid that my resident cat will start a fight as soon as I let them be in the same room. He used to fight with my other kitty who passed away and the fights were very brutal. Some of them ended in an emergency room. I have crazy scars and bite marks all over my arms.

I think I need to wait more till I let them meet without a crate. But is there such a thing as waiting too long? Right now I just see a crazy look on my resident cat's face and I'm afraid of what might happen.

I'm willing to give it time and try different techniques. I know that they probably will never be friends but I'm ok with them just not fighting.

I forgot to mention that my cat that passed away was extremely aggressive too but after we had him neutered at the age of 5 he calmed down rather quickly. So I was hoping the same thing would happen with my resident cat Phillip. But now I'm afraid that fighting is a learned behavior for him. This just makes me very sad and discouraged.

So I'm open to any suggestions or tips from you.

Last edited:

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've attached a photo of a cat "date". This is how it usually ends. My resident cats lays near a crate and refuses to move. The newcomer starts to get angry because he wants to get out. If you look at this picture you may think that everything looks good but I assure you that my resident cat is a psycho. I mean I love him very much anyway but he is crazy. He doesn't like to be picked up and always hissing at everybody.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you able to put the new cat in another room, put something with your residents cat in the cage and leave the cage door open. Your resident cat than go in and out of the cage freely. Both cats smells will then be in the cage.
I had the ginger one on the right a year after the other two. They ganged up on him. I had to keep him in a cage for his own safety and at one point had decided to return him but persevered. I'm so glad I did. It took about six weeks but now they are the best of friends as you can see.

20170817_174825.jpg

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeahhh I wouldn't put them together for a while. In your case, maybe even a month or two. Take things very slow. Can you give the new cat his own room? That way you can start feeding on opposite sides of the door.

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh and is there any way you can get Feliway diffusers where you live?
Yeah I thought about getting one. They are quite expensive here but I think I'll be able to get one in November. Have you personally had any experience with them? I saw mixed reviews on the internet.

My new cat is staying in a separate room for now.

Last edited:

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to put the new cat in another room, put something with your residents cat in the cage and leave the cage door open. Your resident cat than go in and out of the cage freely. Both cats smells will then be in the cage.
I had the ginger one on the right a year after the other two. They ganged up on him. I had to keep him in a cage for his own safety and at one point had decided to return him but persevered. I'm so glad I did. It took about six weeks but now they are the best of friends as you can see.

View attachment 200819
I tried to put the crate in a living room with my resident cat yesterday but he wan't interested. I'll try this again today and maybe put some toys or treats inside the crate. I hope mine will end up as yours, maybe not best buddies but at least not enemies. Your kitties look very cute. Are they all boys?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A month is nothing to cats who are going through the stress of an extreme change in their lives. Also, it takes 6 weeks for the hormones to leave their body after neutering. So you have a while there to go too. Getting them both neutered is very good, it lowers the urge to fight. My feral males fight all the time but ignore the neutered boys. It will take months for them to become used to each other. Your resident cat will be the aggressor because it is HIS territory and he was not used to strange cats in his world like the new one. Feed them close together and let them see each other as much and as long as possible. Mine saw and sniffed each other through a screen patio door for a year and never did fight after they howled and lunged at each other at the beginning. It would be a good idea to keep a heavy towel around if a fight does occur, for a while. Throw it over them and grab one through it. If there is any way to install a screen door at the bedroom opening that would be perfect. That is what I did and you can find these cheaply and fill the holes in with wood putty or patching plaster if it is not wood. A LOCKING latch is essential. I had a cat bounce against the screen trying to get at the cat inside and it came unlatched, that was bad! A screen door makes it much more simple to get them used to the sight and smell of each other. Maybe you could also find a larger wire dog crate at a second hand store, in the want ads, etc. for a cheap price, and that will give your new one a larger space. There are also 'calming treats' available for cats, I get mine on the internet, that are supplements and work really well for vet visits, so might work on calming down Phillip. I don't give the full dose. Make sure you call your vet and see if it is all right, have the ingredients available to give him, or E-mail them.
I would not let them together until Phillip loses such intent interest in the new one. Definitely put Phillip in the cage (or locked in another room) and let the new one explore, he needs to get his scent all around.
It will take a while, always longer than you like, but IT WILL HAPPEN! It might take many months, but it will be worth it in the long run. All the luck!

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried to put the crate in a living room with my resident cat yesterday but he wan't interested. I'll try this again today and maybe put some toys or treats inside the crate. I hope mine will end up as yours, maybe not best buddies but at least not enemies. Your kitties look very cute. Are they all boys?
The two on the left are girls the one on the right is a boy.
I have tried feliway and didn't find it any good, made no difference at all.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried alternating which cat is in the crate, put Phillip in there next time? That's what I did with my cats. I also used gates on the doors. We made our own gates, but you can stack baby gates.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with the alternating space. Not just who is in the crate but let each explore a room on his own. Then switch rooms, and they will get used to each other's scent.
Try feeding them near each other, with the new guy in the crate and the old guy nearby.
Good you got them neutered.
Where do you live?

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A month is nothing to cats who are going through the stress of an extreme change in their lives. Also, it takes 6 weeks for the hormones to leave their body after neutering. So you have a while there to go too. Getting them both neutered is very good, it lowers the urge to fight. My feral males fight all the time but ignore the neutered boys. It will take months for them to become used to each other. Your resident cat will be the aggressor because it is HIS territory and he was not used to strange cats in his world like the new one. Feed them close together and let them see each other as much and as long as possible. Mine saw and sniffed each other through a screen patio door for a year and never did fight after they howled and lunged at each other at the beginning. It would be a good idea to keep a heavy towel around if a fight does occur, for a while. Throw it over them and grab one through it. If there is any way to install a screen door at the bedroom opening that would be perfect. That is what I did and you can find these cheaply and fill the holes in with wood putty or patching plaster if it is not wood. A LOCKING latch is essential. I had a cat bounce against the screen trying to get at the cat inside and it came unlatched, that was bad! A screen door makes it much more simple to get them used to the sight and smell of each other. Maybe you could also find a larger wire dog crate at a second hand store, in the want ads, etc. for a cheap price, and that will give your new one a larger space. There are also 'calming treats' available for cats, I get mine on the internet, that are supplements and work really well for vet visits, so might work on calming down Phillip. I don't give the full dose. Make sure you call your vet and see if it is all right, have the ingredients available to give him, or E-mail them.
I would not let them together until Phillip loses such intent interest in the new one. Definitely put Phillip in the cage (or locked in another room) and let the new one explore, he needs to get his scent all around.
It will take a while, always longer than you like, but IT WILL HAPPEN! It might take many months, but it will be worth it in the long run. All the luck!
Thank you for your detailed answer! I got some calming drops for Phillip yesterday. They are all natural ingredients and the vet approves. So for now I'll let them interact through a screen door which I'm going to install or through the crate. I'm already letting my new cat explore the apartment while I keep Phillip locked and also letting Phillip into new cat's room to sniff everything. I'm soooo hoping Phillip will calm down eventually. Yesterday he tried to pick a fight with my new cat while the new cat was in a crate. The new cat (Oliver) didn't react and I quickly distracted Phillip and removed him from the room. Should I keep doing that if Phillip behaves this way again?

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the alternating space. Not just who is in the crate but let each explore a room on his own. Then switch rooms, and they will get used to each other's scent.
Try feeding them near each other, with the new guy in the crate and the old guy nearby.
Good you got them neutered.
Where do you live?
I'm going to keep doing that for at least a month I think. Seems like Phillip will need A LOT of time to calm down.
Unfortunately I live in Russia..

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried alternating which cat is in the crate, put Phillip in there next time? That's what I did with my cats. I also used gates on the doors. We made our own gates, but you can stack baby gates.
I only tried to alternate rooms. I wasn't sure it would be a good idea to put Phillip in the crate because he's a bit psycho but everyone seems to recommend it. I think I need to familiarize him with the idea of being in a crate first and then let the new cat near the crate.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you able to put your new cat in a different room from the crate, leave the crate door open so Phillip can go in and out to investigate. It would be far less stressful than being locked in it.

Whiteknucklzz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to put your new cat in a different room from the crate, leave the crate door open so Phillip can go in and out to investigate. It would be far less stressful than being locked in it.
Yes, that was what I had in mind. I actually tried to leave Phillip alone in a room with the open crate but he never went inside. He actually doesn't like to be in boxes, cat houses and other confined spaces. I'm going to try to put some treats inside the crate.

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whiteknucklzz Whiteknucklzz
Treats in the crate sound good. Even if Phillip does not go in the crate, it is ok if the new cat is exploring the other room, then Phillip will get his scent there. Sounds like you are doing all you can to make the introduction work:thumbsup: Once both boys are in the flat together, if you can, have one litter box for each.