Panic Time: My Cat Stole some of my hard boiled egg

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
It was the white (cooked of course to be hard boiled). Is she going to be ok? I won't be able to rest til I know. I can't find anything on here about it except raw yolk is fine. I'm in a state of panic (as usual) :(

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cooked egg will not hurt your cat. While you know raw egg yolk is fine, the whites of the egg need to be cooked to be safe. Since she only ate a portion of it, she probably won't even have any kind of digestive issue from it either. But, if she does, it should be minor and short lived.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Mia has eaten an entire hard boiled egg on me when I've had my back turned (seriously, she's a small cat. Where did she put it?! AND HOW did she do it so fast?!) but she didn't have any issues after eating it

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Raw egg white contains a protein called avidin which binds to essential vitamin B7 in a way that makes a cat unable to absorb it. Over time a lack of vitamin B7 will result in a deficiency and health issues. Cooking an egg alters the structure of avidin so it no longer binds to vitamin B7.

Sure, feral cats and others do eat raw bird eggs and such as food but who really knows if they end up with a vitamin deficiency later in life?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Raw egg white contains a protein called avidin which binds to essential vitamin B7 in a way that makes a cat unable to absorb it. Over time a lack of vitamin B7 will result in a deficiency and health issues. Cooking an egg alters the structure of avidin so it no longer binds to vitamin B7.

Sure, feral cats and others do eat raw bird eggs and such as food but who really knows if they end up with a vitamin deficiency later in life?

Interesting. I will assume that eating eggs is the least of a feral cat's worries.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral cats probably don't get enough eggs for that to make a difference. And some animal nutritionists say that the amount of biotin in the yolk more than makes up for the binding action of the raw whites, so as long as they eat the yolk and don't eat JUST raw whites it'll be fine.

At any rate, one bite won't hurt at all; eggs are quite healthy for kitties :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I feel better. She seems fine. She's a tiny cat as well. Not skinny but tiny however next to Treasure (who is fat) all the others are tiny. I appreciate the words of encouragement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Sopdet sure loves hard boiled eggs. I did notice it fills her up sooner. Nothing fills up Treasure lol

Dave2006

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiggy pinched a boiled egg once, no problem but no idea how she peeled it 😺

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to comment that there's likely more than enough biotin in egg yolk to counteract the small amount of avidin in the white. Lots of animals dine on raw eggs any chance they can get. Before Krista's IBD, I used to let her lick the scrambled egg bowl after I poured it into the pan.

I used to volunteer at a farmed animal sanctuary. The rescued layer hens will lay eggs nearly every day as per selective breeding to achieve this feat of economic efficiency. But that's a lot of nutrients they're losing. So the staff at the sanctuary often cracked their eggs on the ground. It's surprising and a little unsettling to see the hens crowd around and eat their own eggs. But it's a good way for them to get those nutrients back.

Anyway...

Cooked egg destroys avidin's ability to bind biotin.