Panic attack ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tigger can't have any food from midnight tonight

What if her body doesn't manage to digest her dinner fully before tomorrow morning? could she still choke on vomit and die during the xray?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just in case I haven't given either girl anything from 9pm

If Tigger hasn't digested food enough then something is more wrong inside her

I'm scared cause Ebony had cancers in her tummy and lungs and it got into her brain

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just in case I haven't given either girl anything from 9pm

If Tigger hasn't digested food enough then something is more wrong inside her

I'm scared cause Ebony had cancers in her tummy and lungs and it got into her brain
From what I read before Ghost's chest x-ray and ultrasound was that it should be withheld for 8-12 hours; sometimes as short as 4 hours. It's mostly to get a clearer picture but does also help lower the risks. It's more important for when they have surgery as they are under longer.
Nobel didn't have any withholding of food for an emergency x-ray and removal of poo from his bum. He had eaten just an hour or so before and was fine.

Most medical procedures have risks to them. The vet (or dr for a human) weighs the risks of procedure vs not knowing. X-rays and pretty safe and fast. She's not going to have anesthesia for that long.

PS. I have a silly trick for "if" worries if you want to try it. I imagine in my mind that I write down the "if" statement on a paper and then crumple up the paper and toss it out the window. Then I imagine it rolling very far away until a squirrel finds it and takes it to use as a nest or another silly animal doing something to the paper.

Did you make a plan for managing your stress tomorrow?

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tiggers been scratchy at me which isn't like her, she's normally a lovebug, waiting at vet now with her

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
can't edit now

she's in a cat ward in the hospital now

i'm terrified

what do i do if they find a mass in her lungs

Ebony's cancers killed her, it had helped itself to her brain as well

I'm terrified the same thing will happen to Tigger now

cause I've known for years that one day Ebony will want her sister back

if the vet decides its Tigger's time to go, will the vet put the euthanase stuff into me as well? Only problem would be that Willow would never get a new home if both me and Tigger become dead

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No news yet

What if Tiggers got heart cancer and lung cancer and they are having to remove her hearts and lungs in order to save her :bawling:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I got the phone call at nearly half past 3, she's home now, they said there's a weird fuzzy thing on the xray in her lungs that they think is a infection

she's got medication to take for the next 2 weeks to hopefully clear it up

Willow is absolutely FURIOUS now, keeps hissing at her sister and running away, poor girls, if I stroke Tigger she's even hissing at my hand when it smells of her sister

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I got the phone call at nearly half past 3, she's home now, they said there's a weird fuzzy thing on the xray in her lungs that they think is a infection

she's got medication to take for the next 2 weeks to hopefully clear it up

Willow is absolutely FURIOUS now, keeps hissing at her sister and running away, poor girls, if I stroke Tigger she's even hissing at my hand when it smells of her sister
Put some calming music on. Do something yo reset YOUR nervous system (cold shower, ice on your face or have a popcicle). Its been a stressful day and YOU DID IT. YOU MADE IT THROUGH. Its hard, i get it. We did it with Ghost recently.

Once you do something to get your nervous system a bit more calm, your cats will calm down too. Give them treats and pet them with the same brush or the same dry cloth. But remember to wash your hands or have a shower first. You dont want to be putting all your stress hormones all over them. They will smell the stress (thats how some therapy pets work)!

Some non recognition aggression is normal. Just being hissy is okay.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tigger got too close to W\illow just now, a hiss a shout and a smack from Willow, no injuries

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can put them in separate rooms for a bit to calm down if you want. Nobel always needed 20 min to an hour by himself after the vet to decompress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have vanilla extract?

Try this;

either with real vanilla (rather than synthetic) or raw coconut (which still has fragrance) ;
From member valanhb;
You put a dab of vanilla extract under the chins, at the base of their neck (by the spine) and at the base of the tail (again, on the spine not the underside of the tail!) of all of the cats to make them smell the same. Cats recognize each other by scent, so if that kitty smells the same as "me", then he must be a friend. Kitty logic at it's finest.
This trick works when introducing cats into the household as well, or during a reintroduction after a redirected aggression event.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tigger's in the spare room, she's refused her breakfast although she's had her meds, just leaving breakfast with her in case she decides to eat any of it

she happily had the tablet the vet said she had to start having, she was like oh OK that's going in my mouth is it, happily swallowed it :catrub:

I've got the spare room door open as Willow although she's still a bit angry (I can see it in her eyes) she's just avoiding her sister now, she's not hissing any more :heartshape:

Will Tigger starve to death, or will she decide to start eating today? She wolfed her food yesterday after she got back from the vet

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tigger's in the spare room, she's refused her breakfast although she's had her meds, just leaving breakfast with her in case she decides to eat any of it

she happily had the tablet the vet said she had to start having, she was like oh OK that's going in my mouth is it, happily swallowed it :catrub:

I've got the spare room door open as Willow although she's still a bit angry (I can see it in her eyes) she's just avoiding her sister now, she's not hissing any more :heartshape:

Will Tigger starve to death, or will she decide to start eating today? She wolfed her food yesterday after she got back from the vet
I'm just now seeing this thread, and I'm so sorry you and your girls have had such a rough and scary week. :hugs:
If Tigger doesn't eat today, I'd call the vet and ask what they would recommend trying. I'm wondering if she's still shaking off the experience of being at the vets and having her sister be upset with her. Whenever Lila sees the vet, she comes home, refuses food and treats and storms around the house, making sure I see how mad she is. Then, within a day, she's back to her normal sweet self.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tigger's been having a few mouthfuls of food at a time, I think some of the problem is the lung infraction is making her feel sick so she can only tolerate small amounts of food at a time just now, hoping the medication starts to work soon

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is Tigger on antibiotics? It's not uncommon IME for them to be an appetite suppressant in some. Just keep getting her to eat what she wants and offer it frequently. You're an excellent cat owner, and I know she's getting the best care possible :)

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It begins with a P and makes it sound like she's going to have babies (she isn't, I would wonder how that happened if she was, as 1) she gets supervised outside, 2) both her and Willow are female, 3) both are spayed and 4) even if a boy cat tries to come anywhere near them both, Willow flies into a rage and attacks the other cat

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pregnicare or prednicare or something

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh and 5) Tigger has never been pregnant while she's been with me, even before supervised explores (neither has Willow)