Panera salad makes my kitty vomit! :-o

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just love the Asian Sesame Chicken salad from Panera Bread, but every single time I've brought it home to eat, my kitty sniffs the salad and 5 minutes later she vomits.  The first few times I just thought she was having a vomiting spell (she's IBD and has had a history of vomiting).  The third time this happened I started to get suspicious.  The fourth time, I put her in my bedroom and closed the door while I ate the salad in my living room.  Now, my apartment isn't very big - only about 650 square feet, but she was fine with the door closed.  No vomiting.

Now, recently I discovered my kitty is allergic to chicken.  So tonight I felt like getting my salad and I made sure to get beef on it instead of chicken.  Well low and behold, I bring it home - kitty starts sniffing the air and 10 minutes later she vomits.

So there must be something in the dressing or spices! It's actually very strong; I love the smell.  But too bad....no more take out salads for me!  I suppose I shouldn't find this weird since some smells make me sick to my stomach too, and her nose is much more sensitive than mine, but it just surprises me that cats can be like this too.  Does anyone else have a kitty that gets sick from certain smells?  Just curious!

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Baby...

Actually, we had a somewhat similar situation.

Several years ago, I offered our kitties a new flavor of canned food (I don't remember the brand, but Liver was the first ingredient.)

2 of our kitties were fine with it, but the siblings (BlaChan and Babe) were hesitant. Babe finally tried it, and a few seconds later she vomited agressively. BlaChan just looked at her, took a sniff, then he also vomited agressively without even tasting it.

We still had one can left, so a week or so later we tried to give it to the other two cats. Babe strolled by, took a whiff and vomited. BlaChan saw her throw up and turned and ran the other way!  We felt so bad for them, but later we couldn't help but laugh that BlaChan was so sensitive to his sister's reactions to the Liver. Oddly, they both ate other foods (before and since) that contain liver without any problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Baby...

Actually, we had a somewhat similar situation.

Several years ago, I offered our kitties a new flavor of canned food (I don't remember the brand, but Liver was the first ingredient.)

2 of our kitties were fine with it, but the siblings (BlaChan and Babe) were hesitant. Babe finally tried it, and a few seconds later she vomited agressively. BlaChan just looked at her, took a sniff, then he also vomited agressively without even tasting it.

We still had one can left, so a week or so later we tried to give it to the other two cats. Babe strolled by, took a whiff and vomited. BlaChan saw her throw up and turned and ran the other way!  We felt so bad for them, but later we couldn't help but laugh that BlaChan was so sensitive to his sister's reactions to the Liver. Oddly, they both ate other foods (before and since) that contain liver without any problems.
Oh your poor babies!!  I think it's a bit funny....although it doesn't help me while I'm trying to figure out the root cause of her IBD when she vomits because she doesn't actually like the smell of something!  My poor kitty...when she starts to go into that chugging motion (uh oh here it comes!) I pick her up and put her on the kitchen tile (where it's easy to clean up!) But this one time I went to pick her up she reluctantly walked herself to the kitchen tile (chugging all the way!) and finally threw everything up there.  Poor little thing!!