Pancreatitis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparrowLyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 11 y.o. male rag doll cat Oliver has been struggling for weeks now. It started with hiding, then decreased eating and drinking. I noticed that his new sitting position was "loaf". He was just now himself. He vomited up this grainy, grey matter and I knew it was time for emergency vet. He went in and they did bloodwork, everything was normal except fPLI. They stated he may have Pancreatitis.They sent us home with Gabapentin, sulcafate and omeprazole. He did not return to baseline after a few days so I called my vet for a follow up. He was not anorexic. At the follow up visit he had a 103 degree fever and she prescribed prednisone, gave him an IV antibiotic with fluids and said to continue the omeprazole with the sulcafate slurry. He was so much better for about 3 days but then took another nose dive, all symptoms came back :(. I thought it was time to let him move on and call to have him put down. THEN, another turnaround happens for another day! I was so happy! and then again, another nose dive :( I felt so bad for him. I would sit in bed in the morning before heading in to see him, preparing myself for what I might find. Im so confused as to what to do for him at this point.
As of today:
He has stopped eating
Lethargic
Muted behavior
Licking his anus and scooting
drinking very little
Anyone that can give suggestions?
Last night had had another fever and I gave him ice cubes and brushed him with a damp sponge. Fever was down this morning.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't be of much help, but he may need sub-Q fluids, and possibly pain meds. The sub-Q fluids are often used, especially with cats who are deemed to be having acute pancreatitis - ditto for the pain meds. The fluids help to flush out their system. Some cats are even given IV fluids in a hospital setting. I would at least ask about the sub-Q fluids.

To help him with eating, give him baby food meats - Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut. Many cats will eat them when they won't eat otherwise. It is a 'tide over' and might help him to start eating again. You can also get the Hill's A/D Recovery canned food from the vet - most carry it in their office. High in nutrition and also something cats seem to like. If need be, either of these can be mixed with some water to make a slurry that can be given via an oral syringe.

The sub-Q fluids and getting him to eat are usually both paramount to recovery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SparrowLyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I really appreciate this :) I did ask my vet if I could do IV fluids at home and she stated that she doesn't normal suggest that unless the have issues with their kidneys. I will ask again tomorrow.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Oliver. You tried very hard to do everything that you could for him in the face of a condition which can be very hard to treat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
When a cat passes, we lock the thread out of respect. You are more than welcome to post a tribute to Oliver in our Crossing the Bridge section. Once again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Crossing the Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.