Pancreatitis - Spock is not well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spiritedstef

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your healing thoughts and prayers. Spock is doing well and may get to come home for a trial run tonight. He is on prednisone for his pancreatitis and is supposed to be on it for about 2 weeks, so he'll get that at home. The problem is, the pred is driving his glucose up in the high 400s (485 this morning). Today they put him on the insulin he'll be on at home to monitor his levels, then Friday I'll bring him back in for more tests, then again after Christmas. He's finally eating a little on his own now, and he'll probably do that more when he gets home. He doesn't like to eat when he's stressed out. So I'll find out for sure around 5 if he gets to come home today - I think it depends on the amount of ketones in his urine and whether or not his glucose stabilizes today. The vet's supposed to call back with an estimate soon on the costs. Not sure what we're going to do if it's over $2,000. We bought our house last year which used most of our savings, then we spent a bunch trying to save Morgan a couple of months ago, so we're pretty tapped out. I don't know if vets usually let you make payments or not....

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fingers crossed he continues to improve - pancreatitis can cause diabetes, so it is likely to be that way round, so they normally get the diabetes under control.