Pancreatitis, IBD, enlarged lymph nodes, kidney problems, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogue147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have a 16 yo male indoor cat named Dexter. For 14 years he was of great health. Two years ago he had kidney problems so we put him on renal dry food and he got better quickly and he was OK for over a year.

Last November, he stopped eating and we took him to the vet. He was a big kitty then, almost 15 pounds. The doctor on call said he’s old and just being picky (I think he’s a heartless idiot who should get fired, just to mention). He also said he has a heart murmur and we should arrange for an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed that the heart is OK for his age, but they noticed that his bowels are thickened and that they need to do an biopsy to determine what’s going on.

After thinking long and hard about it, we decided to go with the surgery. They took a sample but were unable to determine if it was cancer or “just” IBD, but they had to remove his spleen and noticed that his pancreas is also inflamed. The vet recommended not to go with any aggressive therapies just yet and just try to get his eating back to normal. He recovered well after surgery, still picky with food, but slowly returning to normal. We finally found a wet food that he liked and he was OK for almost two months. And then he started eating less again.

After another ultrasound and blood works, they noticed that the pancreas is still inflamed, but that he also has enlarged lymph nodes and his bloodwork is not great. At this point, our preferred doctor got back from her maternity leave and she’s the only one who we trust. She was not pleased with the other doctors’ behavior and conclusions. We took our kitty to the vet every day for a week for his therapy - antibiotics (Klavuxil), b12 shots, Tramal for the pain, Prevomax against nausea, Nexium, etc. - but his condition hasn’t improved not one bit. Our doctor told us that she would not recommend steroids, or to put him under more stress with food tubes, but to come to terms that he probably won’t get better. He’s under 8 pounds now.

He’s drinking water, he seems to have a desire to eat, but it’s always just a little bit and then he walks away and won’t eat anymore (he’d eat any “new” food for a day, but then no more). We’ve decided to try to feed him only one food and not introduce too many variants, so we’re trying with wet gastrointestinal by Royal Canin. He doesn’t want to eat any solid foods and he’s making weird chewing noises when he does eat. We’re giving him Sucrabest every morning for the nausea. He mostly spends his days sleeping now, either in our bed, or in his big pillow in the sun on the terrace, but he also comes to our laps to cuddle and he purrs. He’s thinner and his hind legs seem to be getting weaker, so I also fear that diabetes might have come into play now.

I know he’s in a lot of pain and I don’t want him to suffer, but I also don’t want to make him go through stressful vet visits anymore. I’m mostly writing this because I need to let it out as I’m coming to terms with the fact that he probably doesn’t have much time left.

If anyone has any last-minute recommendations, I’d love to hear them, although I have pretty much lost all hope by now.

Thanks for reading and thank you for this forum, it’s been a lot of help, both for information and my mental health.

sincerely,
Bruno

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bruno, I'm sorry to hear Dexter still isn't feeling good after all these visits, tests, and medications. Despite not eating well and losing weight, it sounds like he's still enjoying life, particularly with you and your wife.

Before offering any suggestions, I have a few questions:
-What was "not great" in his bloodwork? Are they kidney numbers? Or blood cell count numbers?
-What are his primary symptoms? He's not eating enough but is he also vomiting or having diarrhea?

I'm glad you're finding helpful information on the Cat Site. And I understand all too well what you write about your mental health: The Cat Site was invaluable for me ten years ago, when our previous cat had health issues that sound a fair bit like Dexter's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rogue147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi lisahe, thank you for responding so quickly 🙏

His bloodwork showed that his RBC and HCT levels were low, and his MCHC, MONO, PLT and PCT levels were high. I can post a scan of his results if that helps. He doesn’t have diarrhea (he poops plasticine-like pieces every few days, sometimes it even looks normal in size and shape) and he vomits approximately once every day or two. It's usually just liquid, most often after he drinks a large amount of water or after he strains while pooping.

His primary symptom is that he does not want to eat any food. And even when he does, he'll jus focus on the juice or jelly in the food, and leave the meat, even though we mash it all together in a smooth mass with a fork. He has no interest in lamb or duck, which we were told would be the best for him now. He barely ate anything yesterday, and that continued today, so we'll probably take him to the vet again tomorrow 😟

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You mentioned diabetes - does the blood work indicate that as a possibility or did the vet suggest it? That can impact appetite, as can pancreatitis. And, with the latter, keeping him eating is important. Did they also do a Chemistry panel to show what his kidney levels are? CKD can also impact appetite. Those kidney values will also tell if he might need other treatments, such as sub-Q fluids (easy to do at home, I give them to my cat daily).

Two things - first get him on an appetite stimulant if he isn't already on one. Mirataz is transdermal, so it wouldn't mean another oral med. Secondly, try baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut). All but the chicken flavor can be supplemented with EZ Complete to make it nutritionally complete for a cat. My cat eats some regular cat food - soupy pates only - but over half of her calories come from the baby food meat, so I have been able to maintain her weight.

There is more I could go into, but this is a start.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Dexter on baby food meat
Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut
You could get different flavors including chicken, turkey, ham, beef
If you get something like these check the ingredients to make sure they don't have any onion or garlic.

I don't know how well this article will help but it's worth showing to you. I hope something in here will help to get Dexter's appetite back.

Also have you tried any kind of lickable treats like delectable or Churu or any brand really.. any boiled chicken or eggs? None of this will be considered nutritionally complete but when it comes to a cat not eating it is important to get them to eat anything they will eat at the time.
Hopefully any one of these suggested foods will be able to kick start his appetite..
Another thing you could ask your vet for Hills Urgent Care A/D which is an overall nutritious food they should have it there at the clinic

rogue147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FeebysOwner: I'm attaching the scan of the last lab results. The diabetes was my own concern, as I've read that it often appears in such cases.

He received an appetite stimulant after the last visit, and it seemed to improve his wanting of food, but the amount he would consume stayed the same :(

heatherwillard0614: I'm in Croatia, so none of those are available here, but I'll go and buy the Hill's urgent care can right now. I'll also check if there's any appropriate baby food in the nearby shops - thank you very much for the suggestion!

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FeebysOwner: I'm attaching the scan of the last lab results. The diabetes was my own concern, as I've read that it often appears in such cases.

He received an appetite stimulant after the last visit, and it seemed to improve his wanting of food, but the amount he would consume stayed the same :(

heatherwillard0614: I'm in Croatia, so none of those are available here, but I'll go and buy the Hill's urgent care can right now. I'll also check if there's any appropriate baby food in the nearby shops - thank you very much for the suggestion!
You are very welcome. I hope he gets to eating soon.. also when you do go and check for the baby food make sure to check the ingredients, it needs to be plain with NO onion and NO garlic. This is important.

rogue147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
heatherwillard0614: he ate a little bit of Hill's urgent care, not much, but more than the other foods. I hope he'll continue eating it later in the day as well. I have been able to find two baby food jars which have chicken but no onions or garlic, however they are mostly carrots and tomatoes, and I'm not sure about tomatoes - should I try giving it to him or better not? Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The blood work apparently did not include a Chemistry panel, so there is nothing to look at relative to his kidney function or other organ related enzymes, as well as diabetes. My cat has CKD, hyperthyroidism, and probable chronic pancreatitis - I have never heard of any of those necessarily bringing on diabetes. But I understand with the lack of appetite and weight loss why you might think of diabetes. You could ask your vet about the Chemistry panel and see if that can be done, and it might possibly shed some light on things.

Pancreatitis is often treated with pain meds and sub-Q fluids, so you might ask about those as well. Depending on the appetite stimulant, most are not long-term impacting, so they have to be given repeatedly to reap benefits. Increasing his interest in wanting to eat is the first step and may lead to him eating more as time passes. Hopefully, he will like the Hill's A/D food as it contains a lot of nutrients/calories. You can mix some water with it if he wants to eat 'soupier' food - that can also be done with any of the canned pate cat foods too.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heatherwillard0614: he ate a little bit of Hill's urgent care, not much, but more than the other foods. I hope he'll continue eating it later in the day as well. I have been able to find two baby food jars which have chicken but no onions or garlic, however they are mostly carrots and tomatoes, and I'm not sure about tomatoes - should I try giving it to him or better not? Thank you!
I honestly don't know about the meats with vegetables... maybe someone else can come along and answer that.. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner do you know if it is ok to give a cat baby food that is meat and vegetables? I've only ever seen and done plain meat.

How is his water intake? If it is a little low FeebysOwner suggestion is a great one.. adding a little water to the canned food that he is eating will help with his hydration a little as well.

For now until someone comes along that knows for sure about the baby food containing vegetables, I would just stick to the hills canned food. Especially since he is eating it and it is nutritionally balanced for him. I really hope this will jump start his appetite where he will start eating regularly.

I am so glad he ate at least a little more than he has been. I would offer him food often like every 2 to 3 hours if he is just eating a little bit. He might start eating small amounts more often..

I really hope Dexter starts eating well and hopefully he will start putting on some weight and feeling better.

I really wish I had more info to give you. More tips and tricks to get him eating more..

If you have chicken or eggs that you can cook for him that would work if he will eat it. Same concept as the baby food.. no spices.

When I brought my kitty home from the shelter she didn't want to eat any cat food for a few days until we finally found a food she liked... she ate only chicken or eggs which are not nutritionally complete but she was eating. That is what matters for Dexter at this point.. that he eats at least a little bit every day. Continue giving him any food that he will eat.
Are you able to get an appetite stimulator?
Also if you can get some kind of nutritional caloric gel for him I'll attach a link for one to show you what to kind of look into getting

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RI3ZG6/?tag=thecatsite

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
two baby food jars which have chicken but no onions or garlic, however they are mostly carrots and tomatoes, and I'm not sure about tomatoes
A lot of cat canned foods contain carrots (why I don't know, but they do, and my cat hates them all), and many use tomatoes as a solidifier/stiffener. Does that apply to baby food too, I don't know, but it probably does.

I would try canned cat food in pate style - it isn't chunky and is a lot like the texture of the Hill's A/D food. I mentioned adding water more from the aspect of making the foods soupier since it sounds like Dexter prefers it that way. You can also use low sodium bone broth which might be tastier - again, no spices added.

rogue147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took one can of Royal Canin recovery food, so I'll try that if he won't continue eating Hill's.

The vet said that we can try another course of therapy, to lift him up, so to say. She'll give us the medicine and show us how to administer it to him at home, so he's not stressed by going into a car and to the vet. I'll also ask her for another complete blood panel.

Thank you all so much for the help and support - I'll let you know how it goes ❤

rogue147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
heatherwillard0614: his water intake is good, and I think he drinks a bit more than usual for the last few days. I don't know if that's good or bad at this point.

Cooked chicken worked for a few days, but then he stopped eating that too. I'll try with boiled eggs.

Regarding adding water to the food: that's unfortunately a no - he won't touch the food if it's mixed with water 🤷‍♂️

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took one can of Royal Canin recovery food, so I'll try that if he won't continue eating Hill's.

The vet said that we can try another course of therapy, to lift him up, so to say. She'll give us the medicine and show us how to administer it to him at home, so he's not stressed by going into a car and to the vet. I'll also ask her for another complete blood panel.

Thank you all so much for the help and support - I'll let you know how it goes ❤
I'm praying for Dexter's appetite to grow and he feels better.

I'll keep an eye out for updates. Good luck with everything!!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
heatherwillard0614: his water intake is good, and I think he drinks a bit more than usual for the last few days. I don't know if that's good or bad at this point.

Cooked chicken worked for a few days, but then he stopped eating that too. I'll try with boiled eggs.

Regarding adding water to the food: that's unfortunately a no - he won't touch the food if it's mixed with water 🤷‍♂️
Ok you can try scrambled too for whatever reason my cat wouldn't est boiled eggs but would scrambled.. she is also a picky little thing lol

Anyway I hope he continues eating the canned food and if by chance he does go off that too he will eat eggs
If it has been a little while since the chicken maybe

Terri Moore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My wife and I have a 16 yo male indoor cat named Dexter. For 14 years he was of great health. Two years ago he had kidney problems so we put him on renal dry food and he got better quickly and he was OK for over a year.

Last November, he stopped eating and we took him to the vet. He was a big kitty then, almost 15 pounds. The doctor on call said he’s old and just being picky (I think he’s a heartless idiot who should get fired, just to mention). He also said he has a heart murmur and we should arrange for an ultrasound. The ultrasound showed that the heart is OK for his age, but they noticed that his bowels are thickened and that they need to do an biopsy to determine what’s going on.

After thinking long and hard about it, we decided to go with the surgery. They took a sample but were unable to determine if it was cancer or “just” IBD, but they had to remove his spleen and noticed that his pancreas is also inflamed. The vet recommended not to go with any aggressive therapies just yet and just try to get his eating back to normal. He recovered well after surgery, still picky with food, but slowly returning to normal. We finally found a wet food that he liked and he was OK for almost two months. And then he started eating less again.

After another ultrasound and blood works, they noticed that the pancreas is still inflamed, but that he also has enlarged lymph nodes and his bloodwork is not great. At this point, our preferred doctor got back from her maternity leave and she’s the only one who we trust. She was not pleased with the other doctors’ behavior and conclusions. We took our kitty to the vet every day for a week for his therapy - antibiotics (Klavuxil), b12 shots, Tramal for the pain, Prevomax against nausea, Nexium, etc. - but his condition hasn’t improved not one bit. Our doctor told us that she would not recommend steroids, or to put him under more stress with food tubes, but to come to terms that he probably won’t get better. He’s under 8 pounds now.

He’s drinking water, he seems to have a desire to eat, but it’s always just a little bit and then he walks away and won’t eat anymore (he’d eat any “new” food for a day, but then no more). We’ve decided to try to feed him only one food and not introduce too many variants, so we’re trying with wet gastrointestinal by Royal Canin. He doesn’t want to eat any solid foods and he’s making weird chewing noises when he does eat. We’re giving him Sucrabest every morning for the nausea. He mostly spends his days sleeping now, either in our bed, or in his big pillow in the sun on the terrace, but he also comes to our laps to cuddle and he purrs. He’s thinner and his hind legs seem to be getting weaker, so I also fear that diabetes might have come into play now.

I know he’s in a lot of pain and I don’t want him to suffer, but I also don’t want to make him go through stressful vet visits anymore. I’m mostly writing this because I need to let it out as I’m coming to terms with the fact that he probably doesn’t have much time left.

If anyone has any last-minute recommendations, I’d love to hear them, although I have pretty much lost all hope by now.

Thanks for reading and thank you for this forum, it’s been a lot of help, both for information and my mental health.

sincerely,
Bruno

he seems to have a desire to eat, but it’s always just a little bit and then he walks away and won’t eat anymore (he’d eat any “new” food for a day, but then no more). QUOTE]

My cat does the same thing! She only eats a few bites of food and walks away. She literally walked away when I offered baby food. She also makes weird chewing noises when she does eat. I'm losing hope too. I feel your sorrow.

rogue147

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Thank you all for your suggestions and support, but sadly, we had to say a final goodbye to our beloved Dexter today 😭 He's been struggling a lot for the past few days and we didn't want him to suffer. He went out peacefully this morning, and although it was the most difficult day of my whole life and we're in shock and mourning and it feels unreal, it felt like the right decision for him. I must admit I've never imagined it would hurt this much, that I would feel such profound loss. But I should have known better, as he was so much more than a pet, he was a friend and a part of our family. We've spent 16 beautiful years together, and I find comfort in knowing that he had a good life and was loved and cared for. Again, thank you all for your kindness, it was very appreciated and helped me a lot mentally. Here is Dexter in one of his many cardboard boxes which he loved to chew on and sleep in ♥
IMG_3563.jpeg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
R rogue147 Dexter was so lucky to be a part of your life. As you said he wasn't just a pet (I truly don't think there is such a thing as just a pet) he was a friend, he was family. He is running around happy and healthy. He will always be with you, keep him in your heart, near and dear always. He knows you loved him unconditionally, as he loved you unconditionally as well. Please always hold onto the great times you had with him. Remember those times because they were the most precious times for him as well as you. Dexter was such a handsome little boy.

I am so sorry for the loss of your special little man. Please feel free to write a memorial in the crossing the bridge forum to let everyone know what a sweet little boy you had.
My condolences to you and your family
May Dexter rest in peace until you meet again.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
R rogue147 , I'm very sorry to hear you had to have Dexter put to sleep but it's clear you did the right thing. He was lucky to have you taking care of him all those years and minimizing his suffering in his final days. It's horribly painful to lose them, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.