pancreatitis and pli count

popod229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat 's pli count is astronomical. We are doing everything recommended. I'm terrified for him. Why is it so high? Other than more tiredness, he otherwise seems himself..

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@popod229

I'm sorry about that!  Is he symptomatic as well?  Is he vomiting?  If being tired is his only symptom then that's good.  Is he on meds and if yes, what?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

popod229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for reply mainly he is only lethargic in terms of symptoms. However he also has high liver enzymes, and an ultrasound revealed two 1 cm nodules on his liver, which is very concerning. We tried an antibiotic but in the following results his pli was even higher. We are getting him further checked today so hopefully its good news. Do you think this is just a case of manageable pancreatitis?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly I have no idea.  I have a cat with pancreatitis who gets lethargic and vomits from time to time and we give him meds for it which work, but his PLI is barely into the diagnosable category.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@popod229, how was the PLI determined? Was it from the Spec fPL blood test? Are there any other abnormalities in your cat's blood work?

You said you have tried everything recommended but only mention antibiotics. Can you provide some more detail on what you and the vet have tried?

Is your cat eating his normal amount?

popod229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StephenQ, may I ask what meds are helping your cat? the antibiotics didnt help. we had his liver aspirated, to check for god forbid cancer. Truth is that the doctors are not giving much treatment options because hes clinically well for the most part.

popod229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes it was from the fpl test. The pli number went from 30 to 50+. His liver enzymes (not sure which) was high as well

popod229

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lalso, his weight over the passed 3 months dropped about 2 pounds. He is now 11 pounds, and hasn't lost anything for a few weeks thankfully

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
StephenQ, may I ask what meds are helping your cat? the antibiotics didnt help. we had his liver aspirated, to check for god forbid cancer. Truth is that the doctors are not giving much treatment options because hes clinically well for the most part.
Sure. He's on Pepcid and prednisilone daily, but the Pred is for his IBD, and Cerenia for nausea (standard 4 days on 1 day off protocol) B12 injections subQ weekly. If he has a flare up we give fluids subQ at home along with cerenia subQ and if it's a worse flare up we take him in for an additional faster acting anti nausea med and pain Meds.

He is fairly well controlled at the money but were also dealing with IBD, mild renal disease and mild heart disease.