Pancreatitis advice?

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new here and joined because my 12 yo cat is very ill. The vet has diagnosed pancreatitis and she's been getting subcut water and painkillers every 2 days and twice been on a drip and had a naso-gastric feed under anaesthetic.

My worry is that she has basically stopped eating and drinking for the last 2-3 weeks. I've been reading and worrying about fatty liver, which she surely has by now. She's had nothing at all since her nasogastric feed 3 days ago.

Tonight I finally force-fed her with some Hills a/d wet food in a syringe. Of course she hates me now and runs away from me. (I also give her painkiller liquid every day). I'm incredibly sad that she doesn't want to snuggle because I fear she may be dying and I want to stroke and comfort her while she is still with me.

I think what I want to know is whether her getting better hinges on my being able to get food into her? I don't know whether to fight with her (she thinks I'm killing her) to get food into her, and make her miserable, or leave her be as far as food goes and just cuddle her (then she purrs and nuzzles and actually seems happy). If I leave her, will she just die? At what point do you just stop doing stuff to her that makes her miserable on top of her being sick?

I can't even describe how much she means to me and what we've been through together. But I guess on a site such as this you would understand. I'm just not ready for her to go. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

I would appreciate any advice or experience you could give me.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's important for your cat to get nourishment, whether on her own, or by syringe or feeding tube.  The reason for the necessity is because cats cannot easily use their fatty stores, and a greatly reduced metabolism will result in hepatic lipidosis.  As long as she's being fed, the method of feeding isn't the issue, merely the fact that she's being fed.

Keep close watch for jaundice, marked first by yellowing on the inner sides of the ears and the whites of the eyes.

Do continue trying to tempt her to eat, but if she won't, tube feeding will continue to nourish her and hopefully to keep hepatic lipidosis at bay in the interim.

Last edited:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pancreatitis is a VERY serious illness!  I have lost two beloved cats to this...despite them being treated in a top Veterinary hospital with 24-hr care by expert Internal Medicine Vets.   I am surprised that your Vet allowed your cat to go home being this ill.  At this point, your cat probably does have "hepatic lipidosis" (fatty liver disease) which complicates recovery.  Her survival depends upon getting adequate food into her.  Yes, she may hate you, but she will die otherwise.

I would continue to syringe feed her Hills A/D wet food or you may try baby food chicken or turkey (with no onions in it).  You MUST get food and liquid into her as much as you can and as often as you can.

Cats with Pancreatitis are in a great deal of pain.  They do not want to eat at all.  Painkillers given on a regular basis may help them to eat.  They need IV fluids as well to bathe the very inflamed pancreas and reduce the inflammation.  Only when, and if, the severe pancreas inflammation subsides, can your cat get better.

If she were my cat I would take her to a good emergency hospital tomorrow and have her admitted.  I think she needs professional Veterinary care at this point.  You may also want to discuss with your Vet having an esophageal tube put in (under anesthesia of course).  This way, all food and medicines can be syringe fed through the esophageal tube.   It is much easier to feed this way and cat will not resist.  You can even feed her slowly on your lap.  The Vet can give you instructions, if you decide to go this way.

I don't mean to frighten you, but from what you are describing, your cat is in a critical state right now.  Her best chance of surviving this is under professional Veterinary care.   Even then, some cats make it, some sadly (like mine) don't.  The sooner you get her hospitalized, the greater chance of survival.  Good luck to you and your cat!

Please keep us updated. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much to both of you! I appreciate you taking time to give me advice.

When i got up this morning and she saw me, she crawled under the bed. I had to chase her around the flat to catch her and I gave her her painkiller and syringe-fed her some more Hills a/d canned. It was heart breaking. She was so, so miserable and fought and cried with a wild, glazed look in her eyes and then ran back under the bed.

I read some more about pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis and understand that her life depends on her getting food. But I just can't fight with her and make her so miserable when she's already so sick.

I live in a rural village on a small island (3700 people) in Denmark. There are no vet hospitals here and also not in the nearest town on the mainland. I would have to travel to Århus and stay there. It would be prohibitively expensive and probably break me financially. There's no guarantee it will even help and it will certainly make her frightened and more miserable.

I'll speak to my vet again tomorrow but I'm thinking to just make her comfortable and accept that she is going to die. I'll make sure she gets her painkiller. I'd rather she spends her last days curled up on the soft warm bed, purring when i stroke her as she was doing before I force-fed her the last 2 days.

livelovepurr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The veterinarians that I work with and I were just having a discussion about pancreatitis in cats. We have not seen a cat live much longer after being diagnosed with pancreatitis. It is a very serious illness that is often times not caught in time. Cats are very good at hiding illness, something that helps them survive in the wild because they are also a prey species. Unfortunately, it doesn't help them in the long run because by the time most owners notice something wrong, it has been going on for too long. Pancreatitis is usually an illness that requires hospitalization, antibiotics, and supportive care such as nasogastric tube feeding if they're inappetent and IV fluids. Hepatic lipidosis usually happens to cats that are overweight that aren't eating. If you are unable to feed your cat, my suggestion is to take her to a 24-hour emergency service, if there is one available and let them care for her.

Edit: I just read your last post. If you can't financially afford to get her the extensive care she needs, please consider humanely euthanizing her, rather than allowing her to die on her own. This is a very painful disease process. Pain medicine doesn't take pain away 100%.

Last edited:

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi LiveLovePurr; thanks for your reply.

Squishy had hidden her illness very well for a while and by the time I took her to the vet she was already very ill. It's another reason why I feel the chances of her recovering are low.

Last night after I went to bed, having left her alone all day after the morning force-feed, she actually jumped up onto the bed and came and snuggled up next to me in her usual place. When I stroked her, she purred. She stretched and rolled over for belly rubs, still purring up a storm. (I don't think it's a pain purr, it's just when I talk to and stroke her). She was really content (and stretched out sideways so I was squeezed onto one side of the bed - what else is new?? :) ) I was just relieved to see her trusting me and being her old self!

I'll take it day by day - as soon as she stops cuddling and coming to me and I can see she's bad, I'll take her to be euthanized. We're very close to each other and I believe I'll be able to sense when it's time.

I feel relieved at having made the decision to stop doing what taunts her. She's now on more painkiller and is sitting by the door wanting to go outside. I'll go out with her just now. (She won't stay long; I brought her with me from South Africa and she's been unimpressed with the Danish winter!) Maybe there will be some spring sunshine today, she can bask in...

Last edited:

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've been outside for about 2 hours in the mild sunny weather - she explored like she usually does (shes very outdoorsy) and lay and dozed in the sun while I read a book (I don't want to leave her alone). She followed me inside again of her own volition and is now sleeping in her absolute favourite place between my duvet and my quilt. She seems content...

Last edited:

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you that I can post here. I know she's dying.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about your cat.  Please consider taking her to your local Vet's office if it is open today.  Your Vet can determine if additional support can help her, or if she should be humanely euthanized now.  I know we all wish for our kitties (when it is their time) to die pain-free and peacefully...but this is NOT how it happens with acute pancreatitis.  It is a very painful and agonizing death...and it happens at the worst possible time when all Vet's offices are closed.  I will tell you my experience for what it is worth.

My cat suddenly stopped eating in mid-December.  She was immediately seen by my local Vet, fluids given, anti-nausea meds given and syringe fed.  Eating did not resume, so two days later, she was hospitalized in a specialty Veterinary hospital where she was given 24 hr care and full support.  Acute Pancreatitis was diagnosed and an esophageal tube was put in as she would not eat on her own.  After a week of hospitalization under full support, she was determined stable enough to come home.  Things went smoothly for a couple of days, but the day before Christmas, she became very uncomfortable.  No matter which position she laid in, she could not get comfortable.  Over the next several hours, things went downhill...things got very ugly, very fast.  I administered painkillers, but they had little effect.  By Christmas Eve, she was crying out, screaming in pain.  Painkillers did no good.  By this time, all Vet offices were closed.  In desperation, I put in an emergency call into our local Veterinarian.  She told me to bring the cat to her office and she would come and meet us there.  We drove as fast as we could.    By time we arrived, (15 minutes later) her gums had already turned grey.  My Vet administered the drug which ended her suffering quickly.

I will forever be haunted by the sound of my poor cat screaming out in pain during her last hours. This experience was why I joined this site...to perhaps prevent any other cat (and their owner) from going though this horrible experience.  It pains me right now to even describe this, but hopefully you will not have to repeat my experience with your own cat.

Please take your cat to a Vet as soon as possible.

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear babiesmom5
I'm so sorry to hear the story about your cat.[emoji]128532[/emoji] that's awful.

I spoke to the vet on the phone an hour ago and described her condition and what I was doing. He said the fact that she is so calm and peaceful and friendly and wanted to go exploring in the bush earlier sounds positive and the painkiller she's getting is managing her pain. I am obviously staying close to her and watching carefully. He is on 24hr call and not even 10 minutes away. He's ever-positive; I'm so grateful for him.

I appreciate you telling me your story. I won't hesitate to take her in immediately if she takes a turn for the worse, I certainly don't want her in so much pain.

My daughter is coming tonight. She grew up with Squishy and I think will be glad to snuggle with her and say goodbye...

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dear Squishfish,

Thank you for your kind words concerning my cat.  She was my "soul kitty" and will be forever missed.  It is good that you were able to speak with your Vet and describe your cat's condition.  It is good that he is close by and is "on call" should things take a sudden turn for the worst.

As long as your cat is still calm and pain free, you might want to offer her some of her favorite food to see if you can entice her to eat on her own.  It couldn't hurt to try. 

Your daughter will be a good support for you as well as Squishy...may even perk her up to want to eat again.  We can all hope!

Please know you and Squishy will be close in thought with lots of positive vibes and hugs.

mewcatmew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has had pancreatitis twice, once was mild once was a bit more severe. He had to have a feeding tube during the more severe bout, but after 2 weeks or so he started eating and returned to normal. The second time he only stopped eating for a few days. Pain meds and anti nausea medication and time were what it took. More severe cases you need to watch out for electrolyte imbalances, etc if he goes a long time with no food/water. The first time when he started eating, the only thing he would eat were whiskers lickin cat treats. If he is out and about and doesn't seem overtly in pain and hiding I would say you are on the right track to recovery. Be careful of him not eating for extended amounts of time though, you don't want fatty liver to set in. Have you tried adding some warm water to his wet food to make it smellier and more gravy-like? Sometimes that helps temp them. They also sell a product called nutri-gel which is a calorie/vitamin dense paste you could give him for some support too possibly. On a side note, when he went into the vet, did you get his glucose tested? My cat turned out to be diabetic which brought on his first case. Good luck!

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's all over. She died last night.

She seemed quite content on Sunday, but that night I woke at 3am for no reason and spent an hour crying and googling "pain starvation". She was more subdued on Monday although she wanted to go out in the sun, and sniffed around and basked a bit. But when she then hid under the bed. I pulled her out, gave her extra painkiller, agonised some more, discussed it with my daughter, cried some more, and we agreed it was time. After the extra painkiller dose she was more purry when stroked, Perhaps I jumped the gun a little, as she wasn't that dehydrated, didn't have sunken eyes or jaundice, and wasn't appreciably worse, physically, than when I was bringing her in every 2 days for subcut water and pain injections. But her behaviour was different, she was not going to have any heroic treatment and the likelihood of her getting better was minimal. Also, during the night I'd read "better a week too early, than an hour too late".  The vet was kind enough to come over, to spare her yet another, much hated and distressing, trip in the carrier and car. He anaesthetised her first and she fell asleep very peacefully, in my arms.

He felt a hard lump when he palpated her afterwards and said she may well have had a tumour. Perhaps he said that for my sake, since he hadn't mentioned it when he palpated her before...

All my other cats have died from accidents and this was the first time I've had to make this decision - it ranks up there with my divorce. Just now I caught myself saying "where are you Squishy?" and looking around for her like I usually do.

I have some wonderful photos and memories. I was busy with a fabric portrait of her and finishing it will be a good way to give me closure. How very true it is, that it's better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all.

Thanks to all who wrote and helped me work out what to do.

Last edited:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
squishfish squishfish
I am so very sorry for your loss. Squishy was a lovely kitty. Letting her go peacefully is one of the most difficult decision we pet parents ever have to make.

I joined this site about 10 weeks ago when I lost my girl Kiki after she crashed in just two days. She became incontinent, unable to stand or walk, and was in significant pain. The ER vets were unable to stabilize her after three hours of care. They were not able to determine what the underlying problem was, just that she was in pain and septic and acutely ill.

I walked her to the bridge that day, as I could not allow her to die in an ICU cage with all the strange noises, strange smells and without me.

Kiki was my soul kitty. Allowing her to leave me was so very hard, but the very kind vet told me that even several days of ICU care was not likely to allow me to bring her home again.

Please consider posting about Squishy in the "Crossing the Bridge" forum here
http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge

You can share your memories and love for Squishy, and everyone there can help support you through the grief and pain you're feeling

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss! Pancreatitis is progressive, and very painful. My last cat got pancreatitis during her last year (which was also her fourth year of managed diabetes), and she also developed GI neoplasia in her last months. Tumors can spread very quickly. Bless you for your decision, and RIP dear Squishy.
:vibes: :vibes: :heart3:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squishy was an incredibly beautiful kitty, and you're very fortunate to have had the chance to share your Life with you for twelve years.  She's at peace now.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry about Squishy...I am shedding tears right now for her and for you.  Squishy was a beautiful girl, and I love the fabric portrait of her.  You definitely made the right decision before things got progressively worse.  With acute Pancreatitis, things get very bad, very fast at the end.  When Squishy hid under the bed, she was signaling her wishes to you.  That last night, my cat tried to hide under the sofa to go die but she was too weak.  I had to pull her out and lift her limp body into the carrying case before we sped off to the Vet's office.  The hoarse sounds of her dying cries during the drive there will haunt me forever. 

The lesson of " better a week too early than an hour too late" was really driven home to me.  You were most fortunate in that your Vet was able to come to your house where Squishy was able to pass peacefully in her own home and in your arms.  I know your heart is very heavy with grief right now, but I hope that you are comforted, if only a little bit, that Squishy did not suffer.  I would like to think that my Snookie and your Squishy are now playing together "Over the Rainbow Bridge".

As I mentioned previously, I joined this site as a memorial to Snookie.  Snookie's spirit, and my love for her, was reflected in your wise decision to let Squishy go the way you did.

I am glad you have lots of pictures of Squishy, and of course wonderful memories you will carry in your heart forever.  When you are ready, perhaps you can post pictures and/or memories of her in the "Rainbow Forum" section.  It has been a great help to me during the grieving process.

Please know that my thoughts and my heart goes out to you now.

squishfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry I have not replied before. I'm finding things hard with the emptiness now she's gone and struggling to collect myself.

But I wanted to let you know about this:
The vet autopsied her. The lump he had felt was not cancer but a part of her pancreas that had hardened (the pancreas is supposed to be soft). He also found fluid in her chest and abdominal cavity, that shouldn't have been there. He said she looked much worse inside than she had looked from outside. It was the right time to let her go, because she was much sicker than she appeared. It made me feel at peace with the decision, even though it hasn't helped fill the empty space where she used to be.

Thanks to all of you who wrote. I knew nothing about feline pancreatitis or fatty liver before. Perhaps if I had, I would have spotted the signs and taken her to the vet much earlier. As it was, she was too far gone.

Babiesmom5 - my nickname for her was snooks. :)