Pancreatic Abcess

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jennie, I am really disheartened to hear of the poor level of care Timmy has thus far recieved....

The problem is that Timmy has not yet been properly diagnosed, the other problem is your previous vet is obviously inexperienced in this condition and is not giving you the treatment options you need. He is also way off base in the advice given you thus far (at least by reading your posts)

The other vets you talked to on the phone are not denying you client status, they need your permission to release Timmy's records from the first vet. Most vets don't like to step on one another's toes regarding cases, so it's up to you to tell the first vet you want Timmy's records faxed to a new vet (of your choosing), or to give you copies of the records directly so that you can take them with you. The first vet is OBLIGATED to honor your wishes directly, and promptly, and YOU are entitled to a second opinion. Make an appointment with a new vet ASAP.

Because Timmy hasn't been properly treated, you have yet to begin to exercise your options. A competent vet will discuss the treatment options with you and will be committed to the task in Timmy's recovery. If this is an acute pancreatic attack, for example, your best bet is to treat agressively with fluids, a short period of fasting, antiemetics to curb nausea and vomiting, and a slow introduction of a bland, low-fat, low-carbohydrate diet, a PROPER diet. Fasting for at least 3 days is generally required because pancreatic secretions can cause complications, abdominal pain, vomiting and inflammation. After the fasting period, a slow introduction to a bland diet is preferrable, then once the initial crisis is over, a proper maintenance diet is initiated for management.

Necrotizing pancreatitis requires more agressive care, but you don't know for certain if this is in fact what you're dealing with. The key is to get Timmy properly diagnosed, start proper treatment ASAP, and give this time for recovery. An experienced and able vet will discuss with you your options and what to expect. You can't afford to waste any more time with the first vet, he has failed Timmy and you.

Please, don't give up, I understand your concern and your fear....but, Timmy is depending on you to give him your all, please make an appointment with a new vet TODAY, get started on proper treatment and take it from there...............................Traci

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

timbits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the first chance I've had to get back to you. Tim did come home after all
! Here's the update - the vet didn't do the blood tests, he looked at Tim's gums and the roof of his mouth and determined that there was no jaundice, therefore no liver involvment (the first tests done a couple of weeks ago showed that his liver was all right). He took his temp at my request! and found that he did, indeed, have a temp. He put him back on the same antibiotic (if it didn't work the first time will it this time?)Amoxil 100 one per day. He said to fast him until tonight which I did (he didn't have anything from Thursday night) and then told me to give him boiled chicken which I've just done, with a little rice mixed in. I'm now waiting to see Tim's reaction. He gave him four large syringes of dextrose and saline as Tim was dehydrated.

He really passed the buck on the tuna - said he was talking about cat food tuna and that I wasn't going to "lay that on him". I can assure you that he was talking about human tuna!

I also noticed - don't know how I missed it!! - that he never once addressed Tim by name, spoke to him, touched him or even looked at him unless he was palpating him. Tha in istself was enough to assure Tim a new doctor! Need to go to the next message box

timbits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd like to ask you a question about food. Before all this came about I was feeding them Nutra Natural Choice for Seniiors. They loved it and I was very pleased with the product! I have bought them Performitrim Weight Managment with a fat measurement of 9% min. They hate it and although none of them have eaten since Thursday night they just look at it and walk away. After giving me "The LOOK". I would like to go back to the Nutra and give them the weight managment formula which has 10% fat. The food the vet seels has 9.3%. What is your advice concerning food?

Thanks so much, Traci!! Are you a vet? You sounds a whole lot smarter than mine!!

cat-tech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Timbits
Here's the update - the vet didn't do the blood tests, he looked at Tim's gums and the roof of his mouth and determined that there was no jaundice, therefore no liver involvment (the first tests done a couple of weeks ago showed that his liver was all right).
Jennie, just because there is no jaundice does not mean there is not a liver or pancreatic condition going on. You said the first bloodwork did not reveal abnormal liver results, yet your vet told you that Timmy had a pancreatic abcess. Because the liver's function is in close relation to the pancreas, most likely the liver enzymes would have been out of normal range. I'm interested in knowing HOW your vet diagnosed a pancreatic abcess. Were the pancreatic enzymes out of normal range? (amylase, lipase)

He put him back on the same antibiotic (if it didn't work the first time will it this time?)Amoxil 100 one per day.
And a recheck on bloodwork was not done, correct? Amoxicillin might have been a suitable choice in antibiotics, but ideally, with a fever present, clavamox would probably have been a more appropriate choice. Also, a CBC should have been done to help determine the cause of the fever (i.e., inflammation, dehydration, etc)...the clavamox would help target the fever that is obviously a result of infection somewhere.

He said to fast him until tonight which I did (he didn't have anything from Thursday night) and then told me to give him boiled chicken which I've just done, with a little rice mixed in. I'm now waiting to see Tim's reaction. He gave him four large syringes of dextrose and saline as Tim was dehydrated.
Well finally, he is taking a more appropriate approach, but did you start fasting Timmy on your own on Thursday night, or has Timmy been anorexic since then? As for the dextrose and saline, why was sub-q administration not done? I cannot imagine using 4 syringes to administer fluids when it would have been more appropriate to use a fluid bag and line set to administer quick and continuous fluids.

He really passed the buck on the tuna - said he was talking about cat food tuna and that I wasn't going to "lay that on him". I can assure you that he was talking about human tuna!
I'll bet...funny how he was being so thorough with you. Cat food with tuna is no less in fat than any other canned cat food, and as I stated earlier, the last thing he should have told you is to feed canned cat food, but rather, a bland diet (white rice, cooked white chicken, cottage cheese, later on a slow introduction of maintenance food)

They hate it and although none of them have eaten since Thursday night they just look at it and walk away.
I'm not familiar with the brands you are using, and unless all your cats are less active or overweight, I wouldn't use any senior formulas at all. Most senior formula brands are not what they claim and do not maintain weight, it depends on the brand, ingredients, fillers, etc. The key to any diet is a proper formulation of calories and protein, but you have to take into consideration age, weight, lifestyle, activity level, individual needs or concurrent health conditions that would necessitate a special diet for that condition.

My concern is that you say the cats have not eaten since Thursday night. Cats should never go longer than 2-3 days without eating, anorexia or refusal to eat will fast lead to dehydration and liver failure. You need to get your cats on a maintenance diet that they will accept and eat on a regular basis. If they are not interested in the latter diet you've chosen, this is a clear indication that you must get them back to their regular diet. Again, the diet you choose must be appropriate for their individual needs and if any are overweight, you need to get them examined (+ bloodwork) before starting any of them on a weight management program. I never recommend owners take this into their own hands, weight management in overweight cats requires a careful pre-examination, bloodwork to determine organ function, careful evaluation of dietary requirements, and tailored to the individual. If too much weight is lost too fast, this is a sure way to expect liver failure or diabetes, along with a miriad of other complications.

I'm sorry, Jennie, but based on your posts, you need a new vet and immediately. You and your kitties deserve the utmost in veterinary care, I don't feel your vet is offering you much in that department. What you have is a vet telling you Timmy has a serious conditon, yet is not treating it agressively or appropriately, then is poo-pooing the seriousness and is not being thorough or up front with you. You have noted signs and symptoms that clearly demand a thorough diagnostic approach and demand an appropriate and effective treatment approach, based on your posts your vet is failing you miserably. Please, get your kitties' records from your current vet and get Timmy to a NEW vet ASAP..................Traci

mellanie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with the last post; your vet is absolutely horrible! He sounds like he doesn't have a clue what he's doing. Please find a new Dr., and have them run some proper bloodwork. Where I work, we would never treat a sick animal so casually.
As for the food, a good Canadian brand is Medical. You can buy it at most vet's offices, and it is quite affordable as well.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jennie-

I too am curious how Tim is doing?

Oh and Traci is a vet tech specializing in emergency cat care. She is a wonder!

timbits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Sorry for the delay - I was in New York for a family gathering.

Timmy seems to be doing very well! He has four more pills to take. In the meantime, he's eating and drinking well and I've been able to cut way back on the boiled chinken as he's been eating the low fat diet. He may even be putting on a bit weight as he doesn't feel quite so boney! He's also showing his normal intrest in things. I pray that this will be the end of his troubles!

Traci, you sure know your business - thanks ever so much!! Would you have any suggestions re prevention?