Paint Qs...

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darkeyedgirl

Okay I have to chime in here. Having painted anything that won't stand still long enough ....

Excellent advice BTW. I've never had probs with the blue tape, but I usually don't leave it on even a day.

Cindy

sooz123

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

Trim is a bugger. If you've got fairly thick trim then the edger tool may work for you. I've never had much luck with them, due mostly I think to the style of molding I've got (not a good edge for the little wheels to roll against.)[/url] ...
Right... it doesn't work for our base boards, they're too thin at the edge. It does do well with door frames and ceilings that don't have moulding. I tape off anyway
because I'm particularly messy (Except door frames, the tool really makes those easy), I just like the clean line you get with it where you can use it. I don't have a steady enough hand, especially after getting tired out from painting the rest of the walls, to cut in with a brush by hand!

me-n-my guys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you really have to go thru all the trouble of priming..if you are painting flat or satin on the same type of finish, & it's clean, why bother? We were able to paint this place with 2 coats of walmart paint, & it all looks fine.
One thing I did was to pick a color, get a quart mixed up & try it on one wall to see if it 'worked'. At least if you hate the color, you don't have to waste money on gallons of paint!

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The reason to prime on otherwise clean walls is to get a base coat of colour. Primer is less expensive than the paint, and if you are using a really saturated colour, or one that is a lot lighter than the walls you are painting, it makes the paint cover a lot better. I think that folks are only suggesting a primer for the room she is painting deep red.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, I'm so glad I asked, I had no clue about a lot of this stuff! Thanks so much, everyone, for all the great advice!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is great advice, since I'm going to be doing the same thing next weekend! So another question along the same line - how long do you guys think it would take to paint a one bedroom aparment?