Paint is getting spayed today

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today is the day, I am taking my cat Paint into the vets at 1:30 for her spay appointment, I am super nervous.

I spent about an hour on the phone with the vets the other day having her go over everything that could possibly go wrong, and what the likely-hood was that what can go wrong, would.

of course she told me I had "nothing to worry about" and that "I was being too protective"

ppsshh! that cat is one of my babies.

It's not the same vet I took Emry and the kittens to at 6 weeks, so the whole spay will only cost about 300$

wish us luck

pawlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sending positive thoughts your way.  We just adopted a cat last week (after we had to send our other cat to "cat heaven."  Pawlee is also getting her treatment done as well today.  Plz keep us in your thoughts as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Picked up Paint yesterday afternoon, ofcourse she's been sick, and not wanting to eat and has been vomiting, but the vet told me some cats have that reaction after being put under?

He told me something else interesting, which he said he had never seen before but might explain why her heat cycles were always short and irregular.

he said that her uterus and ovaries were small, smaller than he expected and infact asked me how old she was again, and I told him a little over a year and a half. he said her ovaries especially looked almost immature for her age.

has anybody heard of this?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, my vet has never commented on the cats' ovaries, LOL! The vet who spayed Sonja did say that she had had "truckloads of kittens" and that another litter would have killed her because her insides were worn out from overuse. But other than that, no comments.

How's Paint feeling now? If she hasn't eaten anything by tonight I'd be worried. Anesthesia does make some kitties queasy but they do need to eat. Most of mine haven't had any reaction to the anesthesia and those that did were usually OK by the morning after the surgery, or 24 hours after the drugs at the latest. Do you know what time of day the vet put her under?

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ate a little bit about an hour ago, but threw it back up, she has been keeping water down though.(she's been drinking alot) the vet gave me this bland canned catfood that smells like wet cardboard  and feels like wet sand LMAO,  she wouldn't even look at it. it's supposed to be easy on their stomachs, I gave her some ground turkey and that's what she ate a bit of.

Lets see, I got her there at about 2pm on Monday (we were actually late lol) the vet had a nueter to do before her, so said that he'd be doing her around 4 or 5pm that day.

they called and told me I could come get her at 3:30pm yesterday(got there at 4) because she wasn't shaking off the effects  of the anesthesia as fast as they'd have liked.

SO she really hasn't eaten since Sunday afternoon, as far as her behavior she seems fine, wants to be left alone, ofcourse, and doesn't like the cone of shame (which the vet said I could take off tomorrow)  she did use the litterbox (numbah 2..a really really stinky numbah 2 x_x)

if she can't hold food down by tonight I'll call the vet in the morning and ask them, they'll probably tell me to force feed her, which I really don't want to do.

Last edited:

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have to take Paint back to the vet tomorrow, she hasn't eaten, drank or even moved all day, the vet said that they'll likely have to give her sub-q fluids and probably shove a tube down her throat to get some food into her stomach.

I'm beginning to regret getting her spayed, to be honest. She was perfectly fine as an intact cat, and now she's in a horrible state because "spaying is better" -_-

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had like 50 cats spayed and this has never happened. I don't think spaying caused this, but I might not use that vet again. . .

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's the same vet I've used for years with my cats, they use the glue stitches or whatever they are, the ones that just dissolve after a time, so you don;t have to worry about the animal ripping the wound open. they are very clean too. I took the cone of shame off this morning, hoping that she would eat.

Her breathing is fine and not wheezy, the area around the spay sight looks a little red, but I figure that's to be expected.

I am just super worried because this is how another of my cats got after being spayed, and she ended up dying (I mentioned her before I believe)

I'm just surprised, she seemed fine when I picked her up, still a bit wobbling which were "lingering effects", I do know alot of cats have problems after surgery with recovering because of their respretory systems, I dunno. Been trying to stay calm.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's more of an anesthetic issue than stitches/surgical technique, I think. I wonder what kind of anesthetic they use, some of the old-school drugs are kinda hard on the system. I hope she feels better soon! :vibes:

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On the way to the vet now, she didn't fight at all at being put in the carrier, and she's starting to snort when she breathes, so I think she's getting sick

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah the anesthesia can take quite a toll on them and it can take a few days to totally bounce back from. If you can I would pick up/order some rescue remedy drops- they do wonders post-surgery! 

Hopefully she's doing better now. If she's still off her food try mixing some all meat baby food with some cooked white rice. The protein will help her get her appetitive back and the starch in the rice helps to keep the food down 

Here's hoping she's all better though! 

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1,200$ later she is home and beating up on the other cats