Pain when I touch my kitty's mid back section

kwwalker7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family adopted a stray kitten about six months ago, named Sam. He is typically loving and enjoys being around the family - he has an excellent temperament. This morning, he was doing fine - playful and loving, eating normally. However, this afternoon when my 11 year old picked him up, he cried loudly and started hissing - this is not normal behavior. I walked over to pick up Sam to see what was going on, and he did the same to me. As he laid on the ground, I started to rub him to calm him down and as I rubbed down his back along his spine, about mid-way down, he started to cry loudly again. The only thing that is different than the norm was that he snuck out of the house last night, so I was concerned that he may have gotten into some trouble. However, again, he was perfectly fine this morning and was until early afternoon. I've also noticed that he isn't using the litter box or eating, so maybe constipation. I called the vet, and they can't see him until tomorrow afternoon, so of course, being a new kitty mom, I'm nervous and not sure if I should bring him the emergency vet or just wait.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Since he snuck outside and there is no way of knowing what might have gone on, I would think your best bet is to - at a minimum - take him in for an x-ray. I don't know if you should wait until tomorrow afternoon or not. Because he is not eating or using the litter box, there may be damage that is escalating due to continued swelling in his spine. Wish I could offer more.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just to add, since I don't know the vet you will see, if they mention hyperesthesia because the lower back is involved you need to push ahead with them. This does not sound like that and it will be a waste of everyone's time and your cat's health if they fob this dx off on you in this case.